At Bardel, our greatest asset is our people. The 3D Lighting Artist - Senior works under the Lighting Lead and CG Supervisor.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Apr 20, 2022
The artist is responsible for lighting, compositing and troubleshooting shots for TV & animated films, interpreting the color keys, and creating a 3D representation that reflects the original intent of the designer and director.
What you will be doing:
- Light and Render CG Shots
- Create and modify lighting scenes in Katana
- Set up AOV’s in Renderman
- Ensure continuity across the shots in a sequence
- Working with the supervisors and the leads to achieve the correct visual in Compositing
- Comp shots to achieve the final look in Nuke.
- Being able to project matte painting on cards or geometry in Nuke
- Work with the Matte Painting Supervisor and understand what’s being output by the DMP department and how to use it
- Optimizes render settings in Renderman for the cleanest and fastest output on the renderfarm
- Troubleshoot Katana files for technically related issues
- Communicate problems and show stoppers to the lead or supervisor to get them resolved in a timely fashion
- Execute the reviews requested by the Supervisor and the Director by showing an analytic and proactive mind
- Quality Check your render layers to ensure a correct output to compositing
- Maintain timing and production quotas given by the production coordinator by looking at a Shotgun Dashboard
- Organize work and prepare dailies for presentation
- Demonstrates good written and verbal communication, and exhibits a collaborative, supportive approach to working with other team members.
- Capable of basic python scripting to make simple tasks more automatic
- Mentor and offer support to less experienced artists. Providing them with guidance and instruction
What you bring with you:
- Minimum 4+ years of working experience as a 3D Lighting Artist, in a film production environment / animation TV series or visual effects
- Experience mentoring Junior artists
- Great Knowledge of Renderman, 3Dlite or Vray
- Great Knowledge of Foundry Katana
- Great Knowledge of Foundry Nuke
- Keen eye to detail and knowledge of how the light works in the real world
- Photography skills are a plus
- Bachelor of Fine Arts or CGI related Diploma is a plus