TEMPLE UNIVERSITY: The department of Film and Media Arts seeks an accomplished screenwriter whose teaching will ground undergraduate and graduate students in narrative storytelling from a screenwriter’s perspective.
RESPONSIBILITIES: The department of Film and Media Arts seeks an accomplished screenwriter whose teaching will ground undergraduate and graduate students in narrative storytelling from a screenwriter’s perspective. We are particularly interested in candidates who have a comprehensive knowledge of the theory and craft of writing for the screen. Our department is committed to supporting students in developing their own unique voices as writers, and in creating new narratives that challenge existing and historic approaches to the medium. Courses taught will range from introductory to advanced screenwriting courses, as well as possibly serial formats. The ideal candidate will be expected to advise and mentor students; maintain a visible profile of creative practice; and engage in appropriate service to the department, the university, and the profession. The successful candidate will also be expected to advise undergraduate and graduate students on their thesis screenplays.
- Applicants should hold an MFA in Screenwriting or a related discipline, or equivalent experience.
- A strong candidate will have an established career in storytelling, a documented ability to explore formally and culturally diverse perspectives, solid teaching experience, and a clear commitment to creative evolution of the cinematic form through their own and student work.
- Candidates must have professional screenwriting credits for produced films or television.
- We welcome expertise in writing for documentary, expanded media or experimental/hybrid film forms as a secondary interest.
Applicants should be prepared to demonstrate teaching ability and provide evidence of an active creative or industry film practice. The department strongly encourages applications by women and minority candidates
APPOINTMENT DATE: July 1, 2024
APPLICATION REVIEW: Begins immediately and continues until position is filled.
SUBMIT APPLICATION: Send materials listed below:
· a letter of application, including teaching philosophy
· current CV
· sample Screenwriting course syllabi
· names, titles, address, telephone numbers, and e-mail addresses of 3 references