The Juilliard School: The Assistant Properties Supervisor assists the Properties Supervisor in the total operations of the prop shop.
Greater New York City Area
Oct 24, 2022
They work closely with the Properties Supervisor and Prop Manager to coordinate the best use of the school’s resources.
- Works with Properties Supervisor and Scenic Designers interpreting and developing designs and preparing budget estimates.
- Executes or causes to be executed technical drawings when necessary, and in conjunction with the Properties Supervisor, assigns the projects to the staff.
- Oversees the construction of props and monitors their continual progress.
- Apprises the Properties Supervisor of pertinent information, particularly as regards budgetary issues and work schedule, and communicates with the Supervisor and Prop Manager regarding materials needed for projects and for shop supplies.
- Collaborates with other Production shop staff to address shared challenges.
- Plans prop load-ins and strikes for all productions in conjunction with Prop Manager and Supervisor.
- Research, develop, troubleshoot and construct props for production.
- Coordinates the Prop Shop’s response to rehearsal notes, and in so doing prepares build, pull, and buy lists.
- Prepares the payroll each week and sees that production expense ledgers are up to date.
- Attends staff meetings, design meetings, and production meetings as needed.
- Attends tech and dress rehearsals as needed.
- Supervises the maintenance and cleanliness of the Prop Shop and adjacent spaces.
- Coordinates safety training for prop interns and staff.
- Oversees maintenance of SDS book.
- Arranges maintenance of tools and equipment in conjunction with Prop staff.
- Works with the Prop Manager in planning for improvements to the storage areas, and assists with annual inventory updates.
- Work closely with prop apprentices; assist in their training and development.
- Fulfills maintenance duties on a daily, weekly, and yearly basis both in the storage areas and in the prop shop.
- Collaborates with Prop Shop Supervisor on long range planning
Qualifications and Skills:
- Three years experience in a professional prop shop or equivalent.
- Broad construction skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and the ability to multi-task.
- Ability to work within a team and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Computer literate, especially in Word and Excel.
- Demonstrated commitment to culture of Health and Safety
- Understanding of the mission of The Juilliard School as well as the School’s commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
- Willingness to participate in Juilliard’s inclusive policies and help promote a safe space.
- Broad experience in a multiple of disciplines.
- Proficient in Photoshop
- Proficient in Vectorworks or similar
- Advanced expertise in electronics/gadgetry
- Fine woodworking