We need someone who is committed to telling deeper, gripping stories on AtlantaFalcons.com about the team, the franchise’s history and the city of Atlanta.
The Falcons Features Producer needs to be a passionate and professional storyteller who knows how to bring out the human side of our players and staff, while also making our audience feel that they are represented in our stories. This person also needs to be committed to capturing the hearts and minds of our audiences.
This person should have a great understanding of how story arcs are built, whether delivered via writing, audio or video. This requires the ability to produce, edit and write to get the most out of the story and capture people's attention. They should be comfortable on camera, but writing must be of high quality and will consume most of this position’s time.
The Falcons Features Producer would be driven to connect the city of Atlanta to the Falcons and show the intersection between the two, winning locals over through powerful storytelling.
This higher-profile, fast-paced and challenging opportunity requires organizational skills to help create a clear story calendar. The idea is to go one step further than the rest: the Falcons Features Producer is not just telling readers what happened, instead revealing who these players and coaches are as people through written pieces and accompanying videos.
The Falcons Features Producer must be motivated by audience interests and stay on top of things that drive content performance and fan engagement. They must have a strong interest in content performance and help play a critical role in getting more people to visit AtlantaFalcons.com more often, and they must be able to write in a creative, engaging way when the story calls for it - including search-friendly headlines.
- Collaborates with the digital managing editor to come up with 2-3 features per week on players, coaches, events (combine, draft, etc.), and news (free-agent signings, etc.), including longform profiles
- Contributes to Falcons beat and game coverage
- Helps create and manage a detailed editorial calendar for Falcons digital properties
- Builds trust, strong relationships with players, coaches and football staff to find stories that others miss
- Works well as part of a larger team, especially with Falcons digital video department
- Contributes to podcast offerings and postproduction
- Aids the growth of the Falcons editorial vision, voice, and strategy to help create more daily visitors and followers
- Identifies (through research and preliminary interviews) relevant players and coaches as compelling candidates for high-end on-camera interviews throughout the season
- Responsible for maintaining SEO best practices in creating content - written, video, or audio
- Uses press conferences as an opportunity to ask questions about specific players, coaches and even B-roll for future features
- Responsible for aggressively increasing KPI metrics
- Publishes articles, photos and videos using the site’s CMS
- Links site metrics to overall communications and brand metrics for evaluation of strategy versus execution
QUALIFICATIONS / EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS
- Four-year degree
- Minimum 3-5 years' experience in journalism, storytelling, media, editorial newsroom, or related field
- Strong news judgement and editorial skills, including proven success driving metrics and engagement within digital / social media platforms
- Ability to meet aggressive editorial deadlines and multitask while working on multiple content pieces at the same time
- Experience working on multiple platforms, including podcasts and video, is essential
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite including Photoshop, InDesign, etc., is preferred. Basic knowledge of HTML and CSS is helpful
- Demonstrated ability to work in a high-paced, demanding professional setting
- Experience with digital/web and social publishing tools. Prefer knowledge of NFL CMS platform, but not necessary
- Demonstrated ability producing stories in the field
- Prepared to submit a versatile clips package (4-6 stories), when asked during the interview process, that demonstrates an ability to write both shorter and longform feature profiles, outside-the-box stories and quality work on deadline.