WHAS11, the TEGNA ABC affiliate in Louisville, KY is looking for a Broadcast Director. The person filling this role will be tasked with directing and technical directing our live broadcasts using Sony ELC production automation.
We are seeking an individual who collaborates well with producers and other staff and executes the product in the ever-changing world of live local news and local programming. This position is responsible for coding ELC and directing/operation of studio and control room equipment to produce our locally produced content. This position is also responsible for shooting, editing, and operating TVU or live truck equipment for Great Day Live. The director works closely with a team of production professionals and news producers to place the most compelling and clean products on the air. The ideal candidate will be required to provide technical direction of live and pre-produced shows and segments as well as assist with occasional remote productions and approaches content with innovative, forward-thinking production ideas to engage a constantly changing viewer base.
• Ability to adapt and quickly change production on the fly for breaking news and unexpected special events.
• Knowledge and experience with operation and understanding of studio cameras, production switchers, video routers and audio consoles and automation, intercom and graphics systems
• Efficiency with ELC Automation, Chyron & Vertigo graphic system playout, Bitcentral video playout, and ENPS
• Work closely with the News Operations/Production Manager to facilitate any changes and updates to our systems as they work hand-in-hand with News Automation workflows.
• Shoot and edit Great Day Live! live shots and look-lives.
• Bachelor's Degree in Communications or related field or a minimum of three years of media experience.
• Oversee and execute the technical production of assigned local product across multiple platforms.
• Ability to work with a team of people to achieve technically clean programs.
• Have high attention to detail and quick problem-solving skills to avoid issues before they air.
• Must be able to work quickly, efficiently and communicate effectively under pressure.
• Must have the ability to handle multiple tasks at once.
• This position could include early morning, weekend, nights and/or holiday work. Must also be flexible with scheduling, including but not limited to, helping cover breaking news and absences.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
Travel: Rarely: less than 10%
Work Environment Set: Office: normally performed in a typical interior/office environment
Physical Demands Set: Light work: Involves sitting most of the time, walking, lifting, bending, standing, etc.