WTXL, the Scripps ABC station in Tallahassee, FL is seeking to hire a Broadcast Technician!
Tallahassee, Florida Area
Mar 29, 2022
This individual works under the Director of Engineering to perform preventative maintenance and emergency repairs of video, audio, IT and HD equipment, including radio frequency (RF) systems, high-power UHF transmitters, and microwave. There is heavy emphasis on news-gathering equipment.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Provide world-class customer service to all business partners internal and external to the Scripps organization with a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Assist in supporting, maintaining, and installing the full range of broadcast, digital workflow, Radio Frequency (RF), and production systems based on both Serial Digital Interface (SDI), OTT and Internet Protocol (IP) based architecture. May need to run and facilitate cables and connectors.
- Assist with setup and enhancement of software, hardware, server, automation and workflow systems, projects, and equipment to enable our teams to be both productive and efficient. Ensure all meet current industry standards and comply with company policies and expectations.
- Partner with the news department to help develop, build and support content workflow and support systems including integration and problem-solving software, hardware, networking and infrastructure. This also includes support and integration of audio and video, cameras, editing systems, streaming, content management.
- Use company purchasing management system to purchase and track assets and services as well as replacement cycles. This includes contributing to budgeting planning with the team and Director of Engineering to support business needs.
- Drive and assist in the operation, support, and maintenance of mobile live trucks which may involve work in confined spaces and on top of vehicle with the use of mobile work platform. Live truck technology may include microwave, satellite, cellular bonding, and video/audio equipment.
- Resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently, often under pressure.
- Assist in the design of any improvements to our operation.
- Help maintain logs and reports as per FCC Rules and Regulations.
- Provide, enhance, and utilize proactive monitoring system to anticipate technical issues and take remedial actions when monitoring indicates a need.
- Update technical plan documentation when installations are completed to include changes that were made in the install.
- Document and maintain records of equipment repairs.
- Research part numbers and pricing to determine where to purchase and the cost of repairs.
- Operate studio, news and control room equipment.
- Perform other duties as directed.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Advanced degree in computer science, electronic engineering, or related subject; or equivalent experience.
- Network certification preferred (Cisco, CompTIA Network+).
- SBE certification preferred.
- Prior broadcast operations experience preferred.
WHAT YOU’LL BRING:
- Willing to develop knowledge in all of the following areas, and specialize in at least one of these areas:
- Broadcast and production systems support and engineering including SDI and IP based technology and workflow.
- Knowledge of computer networking, broadcast automation and workflow systems.
- Transmitter support and engineering.
- An understanding and ability to work with IT/cellular systems, servers, and devices, and actively pursue emerging technology in these areas.
- Working knowledge of Windows, Apple, and Linux server and client operating systems including active directory.
- Some knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD) an advantage.
- Have a willingness to learn and grow with the job.
Strong interpersonal skills.
- Ability to deliver a high level of customer service.
- Team player.
- Effective communication skills with all level of internal and external customers and partners.
- Ability to resolve complex problems not covered by existing procedures or practices independently often whilst under pressure.
- Knowledge of FCC rules.
- Ability and willingness to learn complex new systems.
- Self-motivated to work independently under timeline to achieve departmental and station goals.
- Able to comprehend schematics, mechanical drawings, and technical manuals.
- Must have ability to prioritize tasks and work within deadlines.
- Familiarity with various test instruments, alignment apparatuses and knowledge of personal computers.
- Operational knowledge of television station equipment.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule including ability to work multiple days, holidays, evenings, weekends, and possible overtime hours as needed.
- Availability to travel over multiple days is possible.
- Must be able to work in changing weather conditions.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds.
- Driving – valid driver’s license and good driving record required. In addition, proof of insurance and liability coverage may be required.
Day, Evening, Overnight