The role of Head of Production is responsible for leading the strategic and business planning of the studio alongside the General Manager and Head of CG. You will deliver the local production management strategy supporting the day-to-day management of all productions, as well as the longer-term objectives for growth and efficiency.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Oct 18, 2023
The role of Head of Production is responsible for leading the strategic and business planning of the studio alongside the General Manager and Head of CG. You will deliver the local production management strategy supporting the day-to-day management of all productions, as well as the longer-term objectives for growth and efficiency. This includes supporting Producers in planning production activity, recruiting and developing talent, and managing financial and operational risk.
As Head of Production, you will work closely with the Bidding and New Business team to identify and secure new commercial opportunities. You will also be responsible for planning and managing production budgets within the studio, which includes responsibility for the allocation of production staff and the delivery of efficiencies through improvement to our ways of working alongside the other Heads of Production across all studios.
In addition, you will manage the performance of production staff by ensuring adequate training and development, as well as performance management and appraisal processes.
You will be a vital member of the senior management team responsible for implementing the business strategy for the studio.
- Contribute to the development of the global production strategy.
- Collaborate with the Finance team, other Heads of Production and COO to discuss new business and model projected shows.
- Work closely with Producers to structure and launch new shows successfully.
- Work with Producers and Supervisors to oversee the financial control of shows, holding regular budget meetings with each team.
- Line-manage all production staff within the facility.
- Plan all production crewing needs across active and potential show scenarios.
- Work in conjunction with other Heads of Production in their mapping of production crewing across active and potential show scenarios to ensure that global production requirements are clearly defined and understood.
- Regularly communicate with other Heads of Production to discuss potential transfers to cover required positions.
- Discuss the allocation of suitable production teams for the year ahead with Producers.
- Interview production candidates in Montreal for open vacancies and speculatively in line with projected needs.
- Review production crew performance with support from the local HR team.
- Collaborate with the HR team to define career paths for all production crew and communicate this to keep talent invested in the facility.
- Ensure the company production structure is adhered to and is working efficiently.
- Implement and support global production structures, and coach Producers, Department Production Managers, and Show Production Managers.
- Chair regular meetings with the entire production team to disseminate information from the facility about the progression of current projects as well as future work.
- Chair regular meetings with the senior production team to discuss the global placement of projects, how work is divided between locations, the overall progress of current projects in relation to established milestones, and financial tracking and projection.
- Manage the production department budget.
- Monitor and troubleshoot in-progress shows to facilitate efficient delivery, and field questions on practical issues.
- Collate and consolidate positive and constructive feedback from the production team with a view to improving processes and systems in conjunction with the other Heads of Production, and IMS team for Shotgun.
- Work closely with the General Manager and Heads of Department to control overtime with a focus on show costs
- Chair post-delivery discussions with project teams, and disseminate learned information and best practises to the wider production team.
- A solid track record of Producing multiple high-end / LA studio VFX projects.
- Previous experience of people management and the development of more junior team members
- Demonstrable knowledge of global film tax breaks, and the VFX context
- Previous experience working as part of a senior management team
Nice to have
- Previous experience as a Head of Production at a large-scale VFX or Animation studio
- Advanced knowledge of key software Excel, Project, Shotgun
- Commercially minded
- An effective people coach
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Advanced negotiation skills