Our News team has a rare opportunity for a dynamic, progressive, innovative News Director to lead our newsroom.
Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina Area
Jan 09, 2024
Our News team has a rare opportunity for a dynamic, progressive, innovative News Director to lead our newsroom. We are looking for a dynamic news professional with strong leadership skills and a passion for local news.
This position is really a CEO of news in one of the best newsrooms in the country, overseeing a staff of more than 150 people and an enterprise team of more than 20 reporters and editors. We have an outstanding reputation throughout the community and have a history of stability in leadership roles. Our current news director has been at the station since 1995 and just announced his plans to retire.
- Lead, mentor and develop the current and upcoming generation of journalists.
- Oversee and manage news coverage across our TV, digital, OTT and social platforms.
- Make editorial decisions on content.
- Execute Breaking News and Severe Weather coverage plans.
- Plan and execute ‘Big Story‘coverage.
- Participate in editorial and planning meetings.
- Monitor newscasts and digital news coverage to ensure staff is meeting standards.
- Create and implement strategic plans for newsroom operations.
- Develop and implement measurable strategies for audience growth.
- Create strategies to increase key demo performance.
- Adapt current resources to emerging technology.
- Develop and control the annual budget.
- Work closely with management team to develop and meet departmental and station goals.
- Provide regular feedback for direct reports with ultimate responsibility for all newsroom personnel.
- Foster open dialogue, empower others, address conflict quickly and directly.
- Protect and defend journalistic integrity of the news product.
- Be the voice of innovation in the newsroom and inspire others to follow your vision.
- Be a trustworthy motivator who fosters an inspiring and inclusive culture.
- Build and maintain relationships to foster a positive news image in the community.
- At least 5 years of News Management experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to track and select trending news stories.
- Ability to multi-task in high stress situations.
- Knowledge and demonstration of editorial judgment, journalistic ethics and libel laws.
- Have working knowledge of federal, state and local laws impacting operations.
- Must be able to work a flexible schedule, including nights, weekends and holidays as news requires.
- Desire to Win.