Reporting to SVP, Content Publicity, Events and Awards, the Vice President, Publicity is responsible for creating and overseeing a team to execute the communications and program publicity campaigns for Our Original Series.
Summary of Position
Reporting to SVP, Content Publicity, Events and Awards, the Vice President, Publicity is responsible for creating and overseeing a team to execute the communications and program publicity campaigns for Our Original Series. This role requires a strategic and critical thinker with creative, out-of-the-box ideas, strong public relations skills and solid press relationships across multiple platforms. Takes initiative and ownership of their assignments and is effective at cross-functional collaboration with different disciplines and stakeholders, and able to interface effectively with Senior executive team and staff at all levels. Must have strong written, verbal and organizational skills; problem solver; good judgment, ability to adapt quickly under pressure and strong leadership skills.
The Vice President, Publicity will lead and manage the development and implementation of all efforts around publicity on assigned Original Series, including but not limited to developing and executing a comprehensive PR strategy, press outreach, the writing and reviewing of press releases, press kits and presentations, events, crisis management, media exposure for talent and producers, and the positioning of assigned series with press and in the industry that elevates the overall brand.
- Develop and lead press campaigns for our Original Series. Works closely with SVP of Publicity to develop and supervise the implementation of goals, strategies, tactics and timelines to create PR plans for assigned original programming and network marketing/branding efforts. This includes supporting all original programming, special programming initiatives, unit publicity, premieres & screenings and network image efforts in the media.
- Execute effective public relations plans through day-to-day supervision of publicity staff and agencies/consultants.
- Manage large-scale, high-visibility projects and possess excellent time management and organization skills, with a reputation for flawless execution and management
- Collaborate cross-functionally across marketing, social media, affiliate, events, international, programming and corporate and brand communications teams.
- Identify and successfully pitch programming, campaigns and initiatives to media, including long leads, dailies, weeklies and online publications; as well as secure electronic bookings; respond timely to media requests.
- Monitor competitive landscape and stay ahead of industry trends.
- Manage and coordinate Festivals (Sundance, TIFF, SXSW, etc.) as it pertains to your series
- Secure and coordinate media opportunities and brief/prep/media train talent and producers for media interviews, speaking opportunities and panels.
- Work closely with the SVP, Publicity on any crises related to series assigned, including but not limited to writing talking points, Q&A, statements, etc.
- Support execution of awards campaign strategy for key series/talent in coordination with the SVP Publicity, Director of Awards and awards consultants.
- Oversee launch memos and wrap reports for our Original Series reflecting all press coverage and ad equivalency.
- Liaise with production, affiliates, marketing, and digital/social teams, maintaining the flow of information across the various teams. Must possess the ability/willingness to collaborate across groups and disciplines.
- Travel to and represent our organization at various events.
Qualifications & Skills
- 10+ years of experience in a related role within a corporate environment
- Strong leadership skills and ability to navigate and lead direct reports through challenges effectively.
- Be able and willing to think strategically
- Be a clear and concise communicator – a great writer and clear talker. Someone who can organize, clarify and communicate ideas simply, succinctly and accurately with attention to detail
- Have excellent media relationships and a proven track record of launching successful show campaigns
- Superb written, verbal and interpersonal skills are essential as is an ability to speak and think clearly and creatively and generate new ideas on a regular basis.
- Be able to manage multiple shows simultaneously under deadline and thrive in a high energy, fast-paced environment
- Have experience managing agencies, be effective in dealing with talent, talent reps, journalists and other media influencers
- Have experience managing teams of 3 or more
- Have the ability to think innovatively
- Be able to identify, nurture and help refine compelling creative ideas and concepts
- Flourish in a 'hands on' role, adding value at different levels
- Have a point of view
- Be adaptive and willing to change course as needed
- Have integrity, sound judgment and be willing to question actions inconsistent with company values