Netflix is building a new internal game studio to incubate and build a new class of hilarious, social party video games. A successful candidate understands comedy and is adept at writing funny dialogue and user prompts. They will help us set the narrative tone of our games and significantly impact our content-led gameplay.
Netflix is building a new internal game studio to incubate and build a new class of hilarious, social party video games.
The Content Designer will work closely with a new cross-discipline core team to rapidly prototype and iterate towards a new game vision, building confidence on a great game prototype to eventually bring to full production and make available to Netflix members.
A successful candidate understands comedy and is adept at writing funny dialogue and user prompts. They will help us set the narrative tone of our games and significantly impact our content-led gameplay. This candidate will also take advantage of our content writing tools, using them to create and curate their own work as well as the work of other team members. Our games will include systems that use content dynamically, so our content designer should have technical chops and past experience writing for games. Our candidate will also be responsible for directing our voice talent, so we are also looking for someone with a great sense of timing and has the ability to connect with our actors and bring out a great performance.
You’ll be joining a small, scrappy team with big ambitions, and an obsession to create memorable game moments that leave players telling their own stories for years to come. We’re looking for new teammates who care deeply about the experiences they create and the people they make them with. Those who bias towards action and are energized by the learning that comes with bold experimentation at an agile pace. As a part of Netflix, we strive to hire the best and value integrity, excellence, respect, inclusion, and collaboration.
Now is an amazing time to join Netflix Game Studio as we seek to entertain our 200 million paid members in a really new way.
- Content Creation: Design and write gameplay-related content that is both funny and engaging
- Story Teller: Create memorable characters and narratives, and dialogue
- Joke Writer: Write tight jokes that are snappy, to-the-point and keep our gameplay moving
- Editorial: Build a room of contracted writers and lead their efforts by optimizing contributions and editing with a critical eye
- VO: Work with our audio lead to schedule, record, and direct our voiceover talent
- Tools: Define requirements for custom content tools, help shape our content pipeline
- Implementer: Directly add content to our Unity project based on our content pipeline
- Liaison: Collaborate with external stakeholders such as legal and our trust & safety team to make sure our copy is Netflix compliant
- Documentation: Create editorial guides so that team members and other writers understand best practices when creating content for gameplay and writing dialogue for characters
- 3+ years experience shipping written or narrative content
- Excellent writing skills specializing in comedic dialogue
- Experience working with writing and audio tools
- Prior development experience working in Unity
- Flexible, able to write in a variety of different genres
- Deep knowledge of content moderation and the impact it will have on our content
- Exceptional communication and cross-discipline collaboration skills
- Passion for making video games, especially in a rapid, focused, smaller form vs multi-year investments
- Familiarity with video and board games that are in the social party space
- Involved in the comedy scene via improv, acting, writing, standup, etc.
- Has prior leadership experience directing talent and/or leading a writers’ room
- Experience dealing with translation and localization
Location: Los Angeles Preferred/Remote
The overall market range for roles in this area of Netflix is typically $100,000 - $300,000.