The Cut is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible. Write and report on the biggest cultural stories of the moment
The Cut, a New York Magazine site, is home to the conversations that matter most to women today — from politics and intersectional feminism to work, money, relationships, mental health and sex — and forward-thinking coverage of fashion and style.
The Cut is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Write and report on the biggest cultural stories of the moment
- Generate ideas for quick analysis, essays, reported features, cover stories, and conversation-starting (or conversation-ending) work on movies, television, books, music, or, ideally, all of the above
- Operate as an integral part of The Cut’s culture vertical as well as NY Mag overall
- Collaborate with writers and editors across the magazine on larger sitewide initiatives, packages, theme weeks, newsletters, red-carpet coverage, etc.
- Work with and report to the Culture Editor, who oversees our culture vertical
- Be able to identify a story to write up, conceive of the proper way to do it from the Cut’s point of view, and pitch headlines.
- Balance writing for the blog when needed, working on shorter cultural takes and essays, as well as bigger features and cover stories.
- Closely follow cultural trends and celebrity news.
- Be actively monitoring social media to keep on top of breaking news and current trends.
WHO YOU ARE
- 5 years of writing experience
- Ability to work independently
- Write quickly and cleanly as your day begins before the editors do
- Experience with SEO
- Strong understanding of Cut tone and sensibility
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is in-office. The office is located in New York, NY.
Pay Range: $88,000—$120,000 USD