CBS News is looking for a creative and dedicated full-time Digital Journalist/Associate Producer (DJ/AP) to join its dynamic 24/7 News Operation. The primary duty of a DJ involves producing and shooting quality, compelling and creative visual content.
They are expected to respond to breaking news and report for all CBS News platforms. The DJ/AP must be able to produce, write, shoot and edit high-quality video. They will have the necessary skills to file video stories from the field as a one-man-band or with a correspondent. The DJ will regularly pitch story ideas, contribute to original and enterprise reporting, often while working under tight deadline. The selected candidate must possess excellent interpersonal skills, initiative, willingness to work in a collaborative manner, a strong work ethic and enthusiasm for news and storytelling.
• Provide creative input, pitch, develop and execute original stories
• Arrange interviews and location shots
• Produce quality content under tight deadlines
• Shoot and edit breaking news, day of air and feature stories for all platforms
• Able to quickly turn around critical information for air, verifying its accuracy, while simultaneously getting live phone interviews, live video, transmissions and/or taped coverage of the news event.
• Ensure all pictures and sound are of the highest quality and recorded accurately
• Coordinate transmission windows for live shots and feeds
• Maintain camera equipment, ensuring it is in working conditions at all times
• Appropriately represents CBS News in public settings, including on social media platforms
• Demonstrate an ability to set an overall visual look for all assignments
• Strong writing, reporting and package assembly skills
• High level of creativity to tell stories with sound and images
• Proficiency at shooting with a prosumer-style camera, capturing clean audio using hardwired and wireless microphones, and setting up basic lighting
• Proficiency at editing using various software, such as, Adobe Premiere, Avid or Final Cut Pro
• Ability to multitask and set priorities, sometimes under difficult conditions
• Willingness to work on and tolerate assignments that vary from extreme weather to areas of social unrest, protests, etc.
• Ability and willingness to work long hours as news dictates which could include working on regular days off, weekends and overnight, with short notice
• Ability and willingness to travel with short notice both domestically and internationally; may include overnight travel
• Solid interpersonal and communication skills with the ability and willingness receive feedback
• Comfortable working alone or as part of a team
• Work collaboratively with colleagues across the News landscape
• Strict adherence to the highest journalistic standards
• Strong editorial, logistical and technical skills are essential
• In depth understanding of newsgathering
• Trouble-shoot quickly and efficiently in a variety of circumstances
• Demonstrate a resolution focused approach to assignments
• Valid driver's license required
• 3 years + experience as a reporter/MMJ/producer or extensive field production experience at a news organization
• Proven experience in the field, managing story development and leading newsgathering efforts, especially in breaking news situations
• Bachelors' degree in Journalism, or related field preferred
Hiring Salary Range: $54,400.00 - 80,000.00.