WKRG-TV News 5, the Nexstar CBS television affiliate in Mobile/Pensacola, seeks a Digital Video Producer to join our news team. The Digital Video Producer is a key member of our digital team. This role involves live and edited video production and distribution using various platforms and techniques.
WKRG-TV News 5, the Nexstar CBS television affiliate in Mobile/Pensacola, seeks a Digital Video Producer to join our news team.
The Digital Video Producer is a key member of our digital team. This role involves live and edited video production and distribution using various platforms and techniques.
The DVP also authors and curates accurate, high-performing stories and posts (including elements of text / photos / graphics / etc.), gathers information for news reports, and crafts engaging website pages & other digital products.
The DVP utilizes metrics and real-time data to maximize hourly audience and build long-term brand loyalty.
- Produce digital original video news stories, including various versions for social media
- Help with live streaming of wkrg.com programs, breaking news, and special coverage
- Train, mentor, and support station staff with video projects and creative digital storytelling
- Author strong copy with correct grammar, punctuation, editorial style, and formatting to generate engagement and repeat site visitation
- Write powerful headlines
- Research/gather/analyze information and elements to produce accurate, complete, in-depth, relevant, and fair stories for publication
- Promote and distribute news content on social media
- Monitor social media accounts and respond to viewer questions and comments
- Quickly adjust workflow to prioritize breaking news and severe weather coverage
- Ensure that all content produced meets company standards for journalistic integrity, timeliness, and production quality
- Cooperate and communicate clearly, directly, and regularly with news & production teammates and other station departments
- Produce special projects and other duties as assigned
Requirements & Skills:
Experience, Skills, Education
- Experience in journalism, digital content, and social media preferred
- Ninja-level mastery of AP style
- Strong journalistic storytelling skills a big plus
- Write accurately, clearly, and cleverly to motivate readers to click
- Deadline conscious with strong time management skills
- Organized, technical problem solver
- Ease with/ability to learn new technology independently and quickly
- Strong communicator
- Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills
- Regularly and dependably meets KPIs
- Schedule flexibility
Required & Preferred Capabilities:
- Strong capabilities as a visual storyteller
- Strong news judgment and high journalistic integrity
- Strong awareness of news and current events
- Ability to meet deadlines, prioritize assignments, and make sound editorial decisions in real-time
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
- Fluency in English
- Strong, candid knowledge of self & capabilities and display the willingness & ability to take action to learn, improve, and grow
- Professional savvy and collegial demeanor when interacting with colleagues and members of the public
- Work well under pressure --- ability to handle breaking news and last-minute changes with aplomb
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Media, Creative Writing, English, or a related field, or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- Flexibility to work any shift
- Superior video editing skills
- Mastery of Adobe Premiere Pro required & Adobe Photoshop experience a plus
- Mastery of AP writing style to author digital, social, and on-air content
- WordPress experience a plus
- HTML CSS experience a plus
- Google Analytics experience a plus
- Chartbeat experience a plus
- Proficient in MS Office
- Proficiency with computers, telephones, copiers, scanners, fax machines and other office equipment
- Valid driver’s license required for hire. A clean driving record is required and must be maintained to be able to safely & confidently operate company motor vehicles.
Physical Demands & Work Environment:
The Digital News Producer must be able to stand, sit, reach, conduct telephone conversations, use electronic mail, write letters and memos, conduct face-to-face discussions with individuals or groups, make decisions without supervision, make decisions that impact the results of co-workers, and occasionally work outdoors with various weather conditions and indoors in environmentally controlled conditions.