The Director of Content manages the Programming and Production departments for KNKX and Jazz24. The position draws upon local and national sources to build programming that creates a strong bond and personal connection to listeners in Puget Sound and to the jazz audience worldwide. The position reports to the President and General Manager, and participates in policy development as a member of the Leadership Team.
KNKX is a Puget Sound area public media outlet, dedicated to bringing jazz, blues, regional news, and NPR to the Northwest and beyond. As an independent station, KNKX employees are energized in their mission to provide exceptional programming to over 400,000 listeners on-air and online each week. The station connects with the community by presenting music and stories that educate, inspire, and expand horizons.
KNKX employees work in an office culture that welcomes creativity, experimentation, teamwork, and open dialogue. Our organization aims to reflect the vibrancy and diversity of the place we live, and encourage candidates from all backgrounds to apply. We have offices in Seattle and Tacoma, and offer a comprehensive and competitive benefits package.
Salary Range: $100,000 - $113,000
DIRECTOR OF CONTENT: KEY ATTRIBUTES
A LEADER WITH VISION
- A forward-thinking visionary that has new ideas and solutions.
- Bigger picture thinking of where we’re going and how to get there.
AN EFFECTIVE MANAGER
- An organized manager that is proactive oversees processes and makes timely decisions.
- Has integrity and a strong moral compass.
- Is thoughtful with a high degree of emotional intelligence and common sense.
- Supports, advocates, builds and develops a team.
- Shares knowledge and provides feedback.
- Is solution based and has a sense of urgency in resolving issues and moves forward with decisions in a timely manner.
- Streamlines communications between departments to simplify processes.
- Relatable person that builds good relationships with staff.
- Someone who can bring the content staff together to work more collaboratively and less in silos.
- Is cooperative and works well internally with different people and departments, and forges new external partnerships.
- Optimism, perseverance and a positive attitude are critically important to overcoming obstacles and achieving goals.
- Someone who has a sense of humor and is interested in the world.
OPEN MINDED & ADAPTABLE
- Someone who is open minded to new ideas.
- Flexible and able to pivot and adapt, and can respond to a crisis.
- Someone who isn’t afraid to leave our past behind and can improve process.
COMMITTED TO DEI
- Will need to be an active advocate of our DEI plans.
KNOWLEDGE OF RADIO (ADDED BONUS FOR PUB RADIO)
- Listener focused. Knows how to get more engagement and listening.
- Knowledgeable of public radio and pub radio values.
- Knows the craft of audio and sound artistry.
- Firm grasp of radio mechanics.
- Have ideas of how to maximize a dual format of jazz and news.
- Background in journalism (or some familiarity with news) so we don’t have to teach a “crash course” in media ethics and law.
- Knows FCC Underwriting rules, and media ethics and laws.
SUPPORTS FUNDRAISING & REVENUE GENERATION
- Understands listener and business support and helps to advance revenue generation. Including donor presentations, fundrive planning, and collaborating with business support on maximizing sponsorship opportunities.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of news, jazz and blues programming and how to effectively present it to an audience across multiple devices and platforms.
- Understanding of the evolving media landscape, including latest research on listening habits and smart devices.
- A person that is action-oriented, entrepreneurial and adaptable, with innovative approaches to programming.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement programming activities and work effectively with a timeline.
- A persuasive and passionate communicator with outstanding interpersonal skills.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with coworkers and to work effectively in collaboration across teams.
- Ability to supervise, train and evaluate employees.
- Broad understanding of the purposes and mission of public broadcasting is required, as is the ability to interact productively with the KNKX Board of Directors and Community Advisory Council.
- Understanding of programming principles, audience research, operational methods, FCC rules, and the structure and significant issues of public broadcasting required.
- Must have the ability and commitment to exercise vigorous and sensitive managerial leadership.
- Knowledge of audio production, promotions, events and program schedule building.
- Knowledge of media/audience data analysis.
- Excellent writing, speaking and “customer service” skills are essential.
- A minimum of ten years of increasingly responsible experience in broadcasting, or in creating and directing content is required with a significant amount at the management level. Specific experience in public broadcasting is also beneficial.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Cultural competency to help us better connect with our region’s widely diverse communities.
- Knowledge of NPR News standards.
- Knowledge of the jazz and blues genres and best music programming practices.
- Comfortable using audio editing software.
- Well-versed in social media.
KNKX is being assisted in this search by Livingston Associates. To Apply, please submit a resume, three professional references and a letter describing your interest in and fit for the position.
For best consideration, applications must be received by September 12th, 2021.
KNKX is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.