Under the direction of the Vice President, Program Content Strategy and Scheduling, and supporting the Chief Programming Executive and GM of General Audience Programming, the Director of PBS PLUS is responsible for the curation of content provided to PBS member stations through PBS’ syndicated programming service, PLUS, which includes dramas and non-fiction content.
Dec 29, 2022
As part of this role, the incumbent facilitates the selection, presentation, and distribution of all programs under the PBS PLUS umbrella and will look across the breadth of the service with an eye to innovative strategies and processes that will strengthen the PLUS slate and complement the General Audience programming strategies.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to:
- Employ a strong editorial eye, reviewing and curating interesting, entertaining, and innovative content that fits the tone and mission of the PBS GA Programming Strategy and DEI goals.
- Oversee the PLUS submissions process from greenlight through distribution, managing proposals from independent filmmakers and station producers.
- Serve as the initial point-person for all PLUS submissions, working directly with producers to evaluate and shepherd projects as needed, and acting as a liaison between producers and across PBS departments.
- Under direction of VP Program Content Strategy and Scheduling, serve as a team leader on the Drama Editorial team, reviewing scripts and cuts to provide editorial feedback and determine appropriate titles for distribution on PBS platforms.
- Responsible for selecting and managing drama content for the PLUS catalog.
- Work closely with Programming and Operations team on project oversight to ensure timely delivery of all assets.
- Coordinate with Digital team with internal teams on the PLUS presence and offerings on the PBS portals and websites.
- Work with Business Intelligence Group (BIG) as needed to collect data on PLUS program usage and other key analysis points.
- Work with Standards & Practices to ensure producers are compliant with PBS policies.
- Keep oversight of content, the master delivery calendar, clip reels, and materials necessary to promote and present PLUS for PBS conferences and outside meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
Requirements for success:
- 6+ years of media experience, preferably in a public broadcasting environment.
- B.A. communications, television/film production preferred or similar field or equivalent experience.
- Strong analytical and editorial skills with respect to program material.
- Strong familiarity with various genres, including, but not limited to, drama, arts, culture, science, and history programming.
- Self-starter with an eagerness to improve and to innovate around processes.
- Excellent project management and organizational skills – working with multiple projects in numerous stages of development and completion.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills – diplomacy a must.
- Ability to oversee and collaborate with PBS staff and external parties for successful project execution.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Ability to work as a team player in a team environment.
- Understanding of content development and production process.
- Ability to pre-screen programs and identify and evaluate sensitive or problematic material in programs to ensure that they meet all PBS packaging guidelines.
- Preferred knowledge of public television and its member stations is desirable but not required.
- Must have received or be willing to receive the COVID-19 vaccination by date of hire to be considered. Proof of vaccination required.