An FX Artist crafts and builds elements and effects for the look of a film. An FX artist may also develop systems for use across the show or for specific sequences.
Greater Los Angeles Area
Aug 16, 2022
“What would you say you do here?”
- Design and build images, elements, and effects (such as fire, smoke, water, destruction, magic, etc).
- Work with other artists, the FX head, VFX supervisor, and the director to achieve the art directed goals.
- Efficiently implement systems developed by other FX Artists and propagate/improve them in production shots.
- Offer solutions to meet production's creative and/or technical requirements.
- Ability to multitask, understand priorities, and hit deadlines.
- Ability to work independently on assignments and be proactive to show/department needs.
- Mentor and assist other artists in effects work and other computer graphics techniques.
- Keep abreast of current technologies and offer ideas to implement them effectively.
- Strong communication skills, interact professionally with others, respectful and punctual in meetings.
“What do I need to have in order to do this job?”
- 2+ years of production experience involving simulations of natural phenomenon, particle systems, procedural modeling, procedural animation, and other similar effects. Experience in feature-length animation or live-action VFX production pipeline desirable.
- Solid understanding of software like Houdini, Nuke, or similar 3D packages for use in particle systems, fluid simulation, rigid bodies, procedural geometry and compositing.
- Must be able to provide a reel/portfolio of work examples -- if available, include a web address when you submit your resume
“What can I offer?”
- Education in animation/graphics/computer science/VFX (or equivalent) program; traditional artistic training a plus.
- Must have strong visual and problem-solving skills.
- A good visual understanding of physical dynamics and natural phenomena along with a strong artistic eye to create compelling natural simulation.
- Ability to self-critique creative work, address notes, and expand upon the art direction given.
- Work collaboratively and professionally in a high-end software and production environment.
- Experience scripting and/or programming a plus.