The FX & Lighting Lead’s primary goal is to work closely with the Cinematography Lighting & VFX Director to lead a small team of artists in production of internal lighting, VFX, and matte shot work.
Grip / Lighting / Electric
San Francisco Bay Area
Mar 25, 2022
Along with the focus on shot production, a major portion of the role is to align and continually communicate between all internal departments and assist in developing pipeline tools as needed, animation performance enhancements, or look development that meet the needs of the show for both internal and overseas teams.
- Align with the Cinematography Lighting & VFX Director to lead and collaborate with a small internal shot finaling team in execution of shot sweetening as well as entire shot creation within a very short post schedule.
- Collaborate with all departments in the creation, development, and execution of all assets, sets, mattes, lighting, & VFX as they relate to their final implementation into final shot production.
- Consult and strategize with the Cinematography Lighting & VFX Director on shows’ visual goals, technical feasibility, and design of production-friendly solutions that will maintain the vision of the show.
- Responsible for testing and implementation of assets for shot production, and delegating to the internal team as needed to meet production milestones.
- Collaborate with Art Director/Design, Assets Dept, and Episodic Directors/Story Teams to find the most optimal use-cases for designing & building matte paintings and/or matte projections to supplement asset builds.
- Leads and participates in determining various aesthetic solutions; provides feedback to other members of the production by attending or leading Lighting/FX/Matte dailies on a regular basis.
- Expected to mentor Apprentice and Jr. Artists and must be able to assist them with their shots
- Collaborate with Cinematography Lighting & VFX Director to collect reference or footage of past show episodes to aid in current episode/show look development and reference.
- Attend or Lead after hours Lighting/FX/Matte kick-off meetings with overseas vendors as requested
- Assist Cinematography Lighting & VFX Director with FX and Lighting annotations.
- Attend/Collaborate with Cinematography Lighting & VFX Director for all Color Grade sessions.
- Supervise lighting & FX for specific episodes/sequences per the Cinematography Lighting & VFX Director and Production discretion.
- Continually developing and maintaining CG Asset Creation, Lighting methods, Compositing, and FX rigs to use internally and collaborate with external vendors for execution in mass production pipeline for shot production.
- Collaborates effectively with the Asset Director to break down matte/projection shots into asset and digimatte tasks.
- Validate and ensure that all upcoming/new episodic CG Sets, Vehicles, and New Characters can achieve the desired look for a given show, episode, etc.
- Create and maintain documentation for all FX/Lighting/Compositing/Matte creation and projection methods for overseas artist teams and internal use.
- Work with the Production Technology team, and show supervisors to determine and advise on the optimum technical approach both for immediate show needs and long term strategy. including keeping current with evolving technology, hardware, rendering engines and software that may be of benefit to the production/studio.
- 6+ years relevant professional experience in a leadership role on a VFX film or CG animated project and a BA in computer graphics, fine arts, design, or photography, or related field; or an equivalent combination of education and experience
Required Skills / Competencies:
- 5+ years lead or supervisory experience in one or more CG techniques, including modeling, texturing, shading, lighting, cloth, crowds, fur/hair, VFX, matte creation, look development, or compositing.
- Ability to maintain focus and passion in a fast paced production pipeline with multiple moving parts, and be able to smoothly and effectively operate under stressful situations.
- Proven artistic ability in a non-CG field (portfolio of photography, figure drawing, landscape painting, composition, stage lighting, etc.) preferred.
- High level of problem solving and creative thinking skills, with the ability to share clear solutions with internal and external productions, and always have a plan-b.
- Proven ability to work autonomously in team settings
Preferred Skills / Competencies:
- Experience in corrective sculpting. Understanding of anatomy and enveloping
- Must have extensive knowledge of Matte Painting techniques, as well as solid efficiency in Nuke projection methods.
- Excellent communication, time-management, and organizational skills.
- A self starter with the proven ability to initiate and complete new projects. Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to juggle multiple projects, work with diverse personalities and work within strict deadlines.
- Excellent organization and interpersonal communications skills.
- Sufficient understanding of Maya rigging techniques to optimize the performance of animation rigs as guided by the Animation/Asset Director, and troubleshoot rigging issues as needed.
- Solid understanding of lighting, photography, and 19th & 20th Century paintings. Understanding of composition, photography, cinematography, and camera movement language.
- Solid knowledge of Linux and shell scripts and working knowledge of applicable software platforms.