Juilliard: The Sharp Theater Head Electrician is a member of the Electrics Shop, a talented team of highly trained technicians and artisans. Reporting to the Electrics Shop Supervisor, they are primarily responsible for executing all lighting needs in the Peter J. Sharp Theater, from small concerts to full scale productions.
Grip / Lighting / Electric
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater New York City Area
Sep 22, 2023
The Sharp Theater Head Electrician is a member of the Electrics Shop, a talented team of highly trained technicians and artisans. Reporting to the Electrics Shop Supervisor, they are primarily responsible for executing all lighting needs in the Peter J. Sharp Theater, from small concerts to full scale productions. This is a full time, year round position with a salary range of $67,000 - $70,000.
- Works directly with the various professional Lighting Designers to assess proposed designs and once approved, execute the technical design, preparing all pertinent paperwork as required.
- Assists in determining the appropriate crew calls and note sessions with the Electrics Shop Supervisor and the Lighting Designer.
- Supervises electrics crews throughout the production process, insuring that all lighting/video equipment is properly and safely hung and focused for productions. Wires all practicals for shows as required.
- Attends all production meetings, rehearsals and performances so as to maintain the integrity of the production, informing the Electrics Shop Supervisor as to the status of the production throughout the process.
- Prepares the theater for tech rehearsals with headsets, cue lights, and running lights as needed.
- Instruct the Stage Supervisors and Stage Managers in regards to the equipment available to them.
- Works with both the Sound Supervisor and Staff Electrician to understand the basic sound/video needs for each production and to assist in the set-up and maintenance thereof.
- Archives show productions and all related paperwork and files. Maintains the concert light plot equipment and supervises all electrics aspects of all workshops, concerts, and associated rehearsals.
- Assists with the training of apprentices in the areas of maintenance, as assistants, and as light board operators.
- Works on load-ins, focus, and crew calls in other spaces as time allows.
- Fulfills maintenance duties on a daily, weekly, and yearly basis in all theaters and the electrics shops.
- Three years experience as a Head Electrician in a professional venue.
- Strong organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work as a team player and maintain a professional demeanor at all times.
- Computer literacy including the use of Lightwright and Vectorworks.
• Previous experience in a multi-purpose performance space, specifically a fly house with both manual and electric line sets.
• Familiarity with theatrical rigging.
• Experience on opera, drama, and dance productions.
• Experience in AutoCAD helpful.
Although not required, a cover letter is highly encouraged as part of applications.