Image Engine: The Head of Production is an executive role reporting directly to the General Manager and working at a peer level with the other members of the Senior Management Team to define and implement the broad strategy of the company. You will represent production at the SMT table as the expert in the field.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Dec 08, 2023
The Head of Production is an executive role reporting directly to the General Manager and working at a peer level with the other members of the Senior Management Team to define and implement the broad strategy of the company. You will represent production at the SMT table as the expert in the field.
The relationship between the Head of Production and the Head of Digital Content Creation is similar to the show producer / supervisor relationship, but on a studio level. The HOP and HDCC will work together, calling on their areas of expertise in order to align the production and creative/technical vision for the studio.
You will directly supervise the Central Production Manager and the Central Resource Manager, and work alongside EP’s and show VFX Production teams to support the implementation of a consistent, cohesive strategy and process for the studio.
You will be enthusiastic, optimistic and pragmatic, providing strong vision and leadership to ensure Image Engine continues to be a world class visual effects company.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Focus on the studio at large and support the GM on a day to day basis in regards to the business logistics and strategies of Production.
- Work closely with the Head of Digital Content Creation, Central Production Manager & Resource Manager to create and guide production best practices and workflows.
- Collaborate with GM, HDCC & EP’s to analyse new business as it relates to the studio now and in the future.
- Be an active member of the SMT, contributing not only in areas of expertise but stepping back with a higher studio level overview; collaborating on all areas of Image Engine.
- Coach and mentor key Production roles in the studio.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Work closely with the EP’s on projects in production, projects coming to Production and bidding from an overall studio operations production perspective.
- Alongside the Central Production Manager, standardise best practices and reporting across all projects.
- Support the Resource Manager on studio wide resource decisions being the expert in long term strategies for studio size (growth and downsize) from Production.
- Collaborate and support the implementation of improved production workflows and processes.
- Key point of escalation for issues arising on projects and make recommendations for improvement.
- Provide mentorship to the Central Production Manager, Resource Manager and Production Teams.
- Ensure effective communication to the Production Team on project and company updates.
- With HDCC, further establish and develop collaboration between Production team members and Show Supervisors, Leads and Artists (excepting Producers and VFX Supervisors)
- Advise and support the Central Production Manager and Resource Manager as they strategize production team structures and work with Executive and Show Producers on Production teams and assignments.
- Work with the Head of People and Culture to determine and continually revise the salary brackets for Production.
- Appraisals of Central Production Manager and Central Resource Manager.
- Be a key point of contact with HoP’s in all Cinesite group companies.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
- 15 or more years experience in a VFX or Animation production environment
- 10 or more years of team leadership in Production in an established VFX or Animation Studio
- Thorough knowledge of production and post production pipelines in general.
- An excellent communicator at both management and artist levels
- Strong vision for the company and industry
- Excellent time management and organisational abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills; able to build trust and promote a knowledge sharing culture
- Ability to coach, direct, and lead teams.
- Flexible and diplomatic.
Hiring Range: $150,000 to $190,000/year for a 40 hour work week