Are you looking to start your career as a VFX artist here in Sydney? Have you heard about the 2023 Paint & Roto Jedi Academy program at ILM? A group of 8-10 people will be chosen to be a part of this comprehensive entry level program focused at bringing new, diverse and creative talent to our industry.
Are you looking to start your career as a VFX artist here in Sydney? Have you heard about the 2023 Paint & Roto Jedi Academy program at ILM? A group of 8-10 people will be chosen to be a part of this comprehensive entry level program focused at bringing new, diverse and creative talent to our industry. As a member of the Jedi Academy program, you will reflect the innovative spirit, collaborative mindset and passion for great filmmaking that define ILM and are championed by your mentors.
ILM’s Paint & Roto department is one of ILMs most unique departments, where artists have long, creative careers as Paint & Roto artists. This department covers a wide range of work from creating digital articulate mattes and performing plate clean-up, modifying and removing isolated elements for digitally composited sequences, painting comps before film-out to resolve last minute problems and maintaining up to date knowledge of rotoscoping and how to make shapes animate.
What you’ll learn
- An understanding of 2D motion and animation for both rotoscoping and organic hand painting
- Breaking down and rebuilding various segments within a plate through the creation and implementation of self-made elements
- General plate prep, wire and target removal, clean plate projections, and dynamic recreation through frame by frame hand paint
- A strong eye for colour, lighting, perspective, lens and grain structure, and all round aesthetic skills in judging photo-realism
- ILM's proprietary tools and pipeline
A mix of these skills will give you a solid foundation going into the program;
- Fine arts graduates, junior artists or people interested in a career change with a genuine passion for a career in Paint and Roto
- A basic understanding of 2D, and passion for technology
- Great collaborators, curious learners with a blend of creative and technical skills
- You may have a Bachelor's Degree in VFX, visual arts, digital media or animation,
- You have a reel or creative portfolio demonstrating evidence of your creative work
- A general understanding of VFX and desire to learn more about the entire pipeline of filmmaking
Applications will close on Friday 21st April, and interviews will begin in late April. Offers to successful candidates will be in May
Please apply online with a short cover letter outlining your interest in Paint & Roto , your reel and/or creative portfolio and a resume.
Jedi Academy program details
The Paint & Roto Jedi Academy program will start in May 2023 . We are offering 12 month opportunities consisting of an intensive and full-time initial training period (6-12 weeks depending on discipline and applicant level) followed by on the job development. This is a paid position.
Applicants must reside in NSW at the commencement of the program and provide proof of long-term eligibility to work in Australia. We are not able to provide assistance for relocation, housing, transportation, or work authorisation for the Jedi Academy.