The Junior Effects Technical Director works under a sequence Effects Lead to support shows and troubleshoot the flow of data in/out of department and/or show.
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Feb 16, 2023
The Junior Effects Technical Director works under a sequence Effects Lead to support shows and troubleshoot the flow of data in/out of department and/or show. They may get opportunities to do basic FX shotwork, rendering and slap comps. Work is subject to close supervisory review at frequent intervals. They need to be able to develop enhancements or "fixes" to identified aspects of art / technologies.
What You’ll Do
- Performs entry level shot work including running simple/pre-canned effects (foot hits, “easy” missile trails, sparks, underwater particulates, weather passes, simple smoke) on multiple shots across a show and render tuning
- Communicating status of shots to supervisors and Production
- Hand off elements to other departments i.e. comp and rendering teams
- Presents shot work in dailies; attend dailies and other department meetings
- Data management of shots including clean up
- Special projects as needed
What We’re Looking For
- Ideally 2 years of relevant VFX or related experience and at least a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent education.
- Exhibits strong teamwork and interdisciplinary thinking
- Production pipeline experience
- Strong communication and follow-through
- Ability to work under pressure and deadlines
- Experience with Houdini.
- Basic knowledge of the physics of simulation
- Demo reel required
Nice to have:
- Feature film/games/TV experience
- Linux or Python scripting preferred
- Basic effects and simulation