The ideal candidate will have experience producing compelling newscasts in a competitive market and will possess excellent writing skills, solid news judgment, knowledge of AP style and creativity using graphics and video.
About Gray Television:
Gray Television supports local community interests by providing quality television broadcasting and exceptional service in each market we serve. Gray owns and/or operates television stations and leading digital properties in 93 television markets including the first or second highest rated television station in 85 markets. We are an unmatched broadcast pioneer that keeps getting bigger and better.
We constantly strive for excellence. Through upgrading to the latest technology and seeking new ways to stay on top in our markets, we focus on training and development of the best and brightest employees in the business.
KBTX Media operates the CBS and CW affiliates in Bryan-College Station, Texas, serving an 18-county area known as the Brazos Valley. For more than 60 years, we’ve been the dominant choice for local news and entertainment. Our team produces six newscasts each weekday and three each weekend, totaling nearly 25 hours each week.
KBTX is routinely recognized among the best in the state by organizations including the Associated Press, RTDNA and the Lone Star EMMY Chapter of the National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences. In 2019, the station was honored with the Texas Association of Broadcasters’ Bonner McLane Public Service award, as well as three regional Murrow Awards for best breaking news coverage, continuing coverage and newscast. KBTX is also a recent Texas AP Broadcasters/Freedom of Information Foundation of Texas Station of the Year and Texas Associated Press Broadcasters Station of the Year.
KBTX has launched the careers of many well-known journalists, meteorologists and network executives, and takes pride in helping talent grow quickly into the nation’s largest television markets. The work family of KBTX is made up of a group of dedicated, professional and passionate individuals who are the backbone of our daily mission.
Bryan-College Station, Texas is a community of more than 250,000 people and the largest single metro in the Waco-Temple-Bryan DMA. The twin cities have a unique small-town feeling, but offers big city amenities, including a vibrant arts community, a city-wide, all-terrain trail system and world-class dining and nightlife. Bryan and College Station are routinely recognized as a leader in quality of life and as one of the fastest growing communities in the country.
College Station is also home to Texas A&M University, the nation’s largest university. Aggie home football games attract more than 100,000 in the stands, with tens of thousands more camped outside celebrating at tailgates during football weekends.
Responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Research, write and edit daily content for television and web platforms.
• Produce a high-quality, well-paced newscast that resonates with key demographics.
• Train, manage and provide regular feedback to the Brazos Valley This Morning, as well as the newsroom staff at large. You will coach and be a cheerleader inspiring the entire team to produce strong, engaging content.
• Ensure story selection and placement fits newsroom standards for vision and growth.
• Be the “morning voice” and point person ensuring our daily and long-term projects, including special event and breaking news coverage, are multi-dimensional. You will act with urgency and be responsible for setting our coverage tone for the day, while overseeing brand consistency across the daypart.
• Understand our DMA, key target audiences and where they live.
• Work with the Digital Director to create a daily digital plan and guide its execution. Identify opportunities for live streaming on our website and Facebook, getting live and user-generated content to our News Now Desk, and sending “recruit to view” push alerts.
The ideal candidate will have experience producing compelling newscasts in a competitive market and will possess excellent writing skills, solid news judgment, knowledge of AP style and creativity using graphics and video. Experience with ENPS, BitCentral or Edius is a big plus.
Gray Television provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Gray Television complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gray Television expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Gray’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.