Long Island City: NBC News is seeking a NABET camera operator to assist with our daily newsgathering operations and special projects. This candidate will be expected to perform multiple field and technical duties, including multicamera remote production, producing and field editing.
Live Event / On Location Services
Greater New York City Area
Jan 24, 2024
NBC News is seeking a NABET camera operator to assist with our daily newsgathering operations and special projects. This candidate will be expected to perform multiple field and technical duties, including multicamera remote production, producing and field editing. One-person crew operations (video/sound) will also be required. A successful candidate must be a clear thinker and effective leader.
- Deploy, operate and maintain cameras, along with batteries and chargers
- Deploy, operate and maintain LiveU and laptop IP transmission systems in both urban and rural settings, worldwide.
- Deploy, operate and maintain compliment of portable lighting equipment to include LED, Incandescent, and fluorescent fixtures, stands, extension arms, silks, scrims and flags.
- Design, plan, implement and manage the appropriate technical infrastructures at remote television productions consistent with budgetary guidelines.
- This is a NABET Union position. Candidate must be willing to join NABET if not already a member.
This position will be based in New York. Candidate will deploy to assignments from their home office.
- Must be willing to work a regularly scheduled weekend shift.
- Must have 5+ years major market or network news experience in shooting news and feature programming productions
- Extensive experience in the operation of DSLRs, HD and 4K camcorders, portable lighting systems, RF audio system operation, live transmission, and sound mixing.
- Must have experience with satellite telephone (Iridium, BGAN, etc.) operation, file transfer/file sharing applications, and live field production operations.
- Strong file management and NLE skills necessary while in the field.
- Previous ability and experience to accurately assess risk levels in remote locations and establish safety parameters for all new personnel operating there.
- Strong passion for news and journalistic prowess required.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours, including nights, under tight deadline pressure, including breaking news.
- Must be willing to travel, often with short notice. This may also include travel overseas to areas of conflict as well as natural disasters, protests, etc.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization in the United States.
- Must have a good driving record, valid driver’s license, and valid passport.
- Creativity, demonstrated leadership abilities, and excellent interpersonal skills.
- Can work independently and react quickly to challenging situations using good news judgment.
- Previous experience with a Steadicam and/or Jib is preferable.
- Previous hostile environment and situational awareness training desired.
- Valid FAA drone license with experience flying in a variety of situations.
Salary range: $26.98 - $56.22