The NBCUniversal Local television station in Sacramento, is looking for a Multimedia Journalist who wants to be a strong storyteller both on digital platforms and on TV. We want to help develop talented journalists from diverse backgrounds to become great television/digital on-camera reporters.
Live Event / On Location Services
Sacramento, California Area
Nov 22, 2023
The NBCUniversal Local television station in Sacramento, is looking for a Multimedia Journalist who wants to be a strong storyteller both on digital platforms and on TV. We want to help develop talented journalists from diverse backgrounds to become great television/digital on-camera reporters. A good candidate would be a bilingual (Spanish/English) print or digital journalist or recent college graduate ready to transition to an on-camera role. We are prepared to invest in training and coaching to help develop your skills. The person in this role would shoot and edit video to craft engaging and compelling stories. We want someone who will seek out characters to make storytelling unique and relatable. And it’s important to us to work with someone who can be a strong community member in and out of the newsroom.
- Learn how to take a proactive approach to developing content for breaking news and daily stories on multiple platforms while learning to use all resources available.
- Gain an understanding on how to gather, write and report on-air news for a major market television station.
- Enterprise and pitch unique angles to important stories.
- Willingness to shoot and edit video.
- Identify and pitch angles on big daily news stories and follow developments when appropriate.
- Ensure stories are told in a compelling way with context and perspective.
- Build relevant contacts and sources within the community.
- Deliver live and recorded news events/stories authentically, accurately and in a compelling and engaging manner.
- Ensure news gathering and storytelling techniques are in line with NBC News legal/standards guidelines.
- Think visually using creative and high-quality production techniques including a variety of video angles, graphics, viewer photos/videos and virtual interviews.
- Post digital content of daily stories.
- Identify and produce additional digital content for stories when appropriate or assigned.
- Use social media to promote stories and engage viewers.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in newsgathering and/or news production
- B.A. degree or equivalent in areas such as Journalism & Communications, or related field.
- Must submit a resume/CV online as well as a link to recent work.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule which could include overtime, nights, holidays and weekends.
- Must be willing to work at the station’s Sacramento location.
- Must be willing to take a drug test and submit to a background investigation.
- Must be 18 years or older.
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States.
- Must be covered by Solutions, NBCU’s Alternative Dispute Resolution Program.
- Must be willing to work in high-risk emergency situations including hurricanes.
- Strong journalistic and communication skills.
- Excellent writing, storytelling and live reporting skills with the ability to juggle. multiple daily and short-term projects.
- Ability to speak, read and understand Spanish preferred.
- Ability to calmly handle live, breaking news situations and changing events.
- Possess strong, detail-orientated research and writing skills.
- Have a creative approach to digital platforms.
- Strong, working knowledge of how to use social media to strengthen the brand, interact with viewers and promote stories.
- Collaborative team player with a good attitude focuses on finding solutions.
- Understanding and demonstration of editorial judgment and journalistic ethics, including a current knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations.
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems and prioritize work.
- Familiarity with emerging news production techniques and technology, with a pioneering spirit with desire to learn emerging technologies.
•Required On-Site: This position is required to be performed full-time from an NBCUniversal designated worksite
Salary range: $62,000 - $75,000