The Cut is looking for a Night/Weekend Blogger to write news stories across all areas of the site—Power, Culture, Self, and Style—from Monday-Thursday, 4-9pm, and Sunday 12-6pm.
The Cut is looking for a Night/Weekend Blogger to write news stories across all areas of the site—Power, Culture, Self, and Style—from Monday-Thursday, 4-9pm, and Sunday 12-6pm. This person will cover after-hours and weekend breaking news and celebrity stories, identifying the most important stories and writing them up with the Cut’s voice and style. They’ll likely contribute 2-4 stories per shift.
We're looking for someone who obsessively follows the news (from politics to celebrity) and knows what makes a Cut story. You should have strong news judgment, a thorough understanding of SEO, and a good sense of humor!
WHO WE ARE
The Cut, a New York Magazine site, is home to the conversations that matter most to women today — from politics and intersectional feminism to work, money, relationships, mental health and sex — and forward-thinking coverage of fashion and style.
The Cut is part of Vox Media, the leading modern media company. We guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Work with and report to the News Editor, who oversees all news posts on the blog (though most of your shifts will be working independently after-hours)
- Write up to 4 short news posts per day, aiming to engage readers with the Cut’s tone
- Pull photos from the wires and promote posts on the Cut’s social media channels
- Closely follow politics, culture trends, and celebrity news
- Be actively monitoring social media to keep on top of breaking news and current trends
WHO YOU ARE
- At least 2 years of writing experience
- Ability to work independently
- Write quickly and cleanly, as you will often be working without an editor
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
Pay Range: $32