NBC 7 and Telemundo 20 San Diego seek PEP Story Producer/Assignment Editor. You will be responsible for sourcing, researching, writing, and editing content for daily news broadcasts televised or distributed via digital/multi-platforms.
Greater San Diego Area
Jun 09, 2023
NBC 7 and Telemundo 20 San Diego seek PEP Story Producer/Assignment Editor. You will be responsible for sourcing, researching, writing, and editing content for daily news broadcasts televised or distributed via digital/multi-platforms. Estimated 20-40 hour per week, schedule will depend upon need, early morning, nights and weekends all a possibility.
- Gather, edit, and assemble local news content – focusing on (but not limited to) News, Weather and Traffic for broadcast and multi-platform applications.
- Conceptualize stories with producers, reporter, and talent, critique production and writing of news stories and edit stories and related video.
- Communicate with show producers and digital team to meet content need requirements.
- Gather and package relevant content around key stories from a range of external sources and feeds and content types.
- Prepare pre-pro, tease, edit and archive tapes.
- Develop and source interesting story ideas, using editorial judgment, coordinating interviews and logistics for field crews.
- Know what stories are being covered, who is covering and what platforms the story will air on.
- Maintain contact with law enforcement, fire and other agencies to determine coverage of spot news.
- Lead editorial meetings, contribute story ideas and responsible for developing and cultivating contacts important to news coverage in the San Diego area.
- Maintain accurate account of the day’s events in the Assignment Desk computer systems.
Hourly range: $25-$30/hour
- Ability to react to breaking news, updating the news as stories evolve and writing intros and leads to video online content.
- Ability to work in a team and across all departments and locations, ensuring that news as published is 100% accurate without typos or errors.
- Must be technically competent, have the ability to learn and use newsroom systems as they develop, have proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- General knowledge of television news techniques, including how stories should be covered and assembled.
- Ability to multitask and make quick decisions under pressure.
- Experience with coordinating and pulling in live satellite feeds and signals.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Must be willing to work at the station in San Diego
- Must have unrestricted work authorization to work in the United States
- Must have ability to work any of a 24x7 shift including weekends
- Ability to communicate effectively and work well with people while under pressure.
- Familiarity with local leaders a plus.
- Up to date on and interested in current news events
- Knowledge of laws of libel, slander and applicable FCC rules and regulations.
- Personal initiative and ability to work with minimum supervision.
- Team player who is flexible
- Displays a positive work ethic and can work under tight deadlines
- High degree of integrity and professionalism
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) both written and verbal preferred
Day, Evening, Overnight