Complex Networks is seeking an experienced Staff Writer to join our Pop Culture channel within the Editorial Department, focused on film and television.
Greater New York City Area
Jul 10, 2023
Complex Networks is seeking an experienced Staff Writer to join our Pop Culture channel within the Editorial Department, focused on film and television. The Staff Writer will be responsible for crafting timely pitches related to the pop culture world and thoughtfully exploring angles that will resonate with the Complex audience. Please note this is a hybrid 6 month contract role.
- Write, assign, edit, and update timely stories and evergreen content, including features, rankings, profiles, interviews, and celebrity timelines.
- Manage freelance writers, which includes planning and assigning coverage, scheduling check-ins, and providing feedback.
- Identify and tailor coverage of new shows and movies ahead of release dates to fit our audience and stay on top of major pop culture anniversaries and news.
- Manage and facilitate coverage of live shows and breaking news events, as needed, as well as covering award shows, red carpets, and in-person and in-studio interviews.
- Work with the social team to create assets/videos, etc. and to coordinate content.
- Attend weekly edit and content meetings to go over coverage plans for the week.
- Use analytics and trends to identify new angles and strategy adjustments for new stories
- Help create and execute vertical-defining series and franchises
- Attend entertainment industry events such as screenings, TV/movies press junkets, and red carpets in the New York City region.
- Two-plus years of professional journalism experience
- Excellent communication skills
- Deep knowledge of Complex's voice and brand
- Demonstrable understanding of the right angles for the right stories
- Strong writing skills, along with the ability to edit and copy edit