ABC News’ Medical Unit is seeking a full-time Producer who is comfortable translating complex scientific research into accessible, understandable information for a mass audience with the utmost journalistic and medical integrity!
ABC News’ Medical Unit is seeking a full-time Producer who is comfortable translating complex scientific research into accessible, understandable information for a mass audience with the utmost journalistic and medical integrity! The ideal candidate is a rock-solid self-starter who is comfortable talking with medical doctors, public health officials and healthcare consumers alike. The priority of the position will be the delivery of fact-based, accurate editorial information to platforms across ABC News for reporting while supporting the Med Units many obligations. The role also includes pitching and producing content from start to finish. You should have a passion for empowering viewers with health-related information through inspiring personal narratives with an eye for visual storytelling.
- Review and edit medical studies, articles and scripts for absolute accuracy and appropriate context.
- Participate in daily pitch meetings and consult on medical news with ABC. News broadcast shows including World News Tonight and Good Morning America.
- Produce your own content for digital, broadcast and audio platforms across ABC News.
- Manage the prestigious medical resident elective program, a unique program designed to help doctors hone their journalism skills, including recruiting, scheduling, onboarding and training of resident physicians.
- Write and distribute a daily internal memo of new journal study reviews, including studies still under embargo.
- Respond to breaking science and medical news to determine if airworthy and deliver crucial context across the network.
- Write or edit digital medical articles and scripts across multiple platforms within the ABC News network.
- Collaborating across ABC specialized units (climate, investigative, business)
- 3 years or more of related experience.
- Embraces teamwork but can also thrive working independently.
- Remain unruffled under tight deadlines and a fast-paced environment.
- Outstanding organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Assess and evaluate the impact and practical implications of studies.
- Excellent writing and research skills.
- Familiar with consumer health, wellness and medical outlets and journals.
- Flexible work schedule in breaking news situations.
- Prior experience investigating medical studies for methodology, statistical significance, bias, limitations, causation, correlation, or association.
- A medical writer or producer with extensive experience is a plus
- An experienced researcher with a Masters, PhD or MD.
- Maintain genuine curiosity and a knack for finding answers
- Prior TV production experience
- A desire to manage and educate budding physician-journalists
The hiring range for this position in New York, NY is $104,200 to $143,200 per year.