CBS Sports is looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented sports fan to work with our team of Researchers to create and deliver in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment materials that convey in-depth, creative and accurate information to inform and influence coverage in studio and game broadcasts, and throughout CBS Sports departments.
CBS Sports is looking for an enthusiastic, detail-oriented sports fan to work with our team of Researchers to create and deliver in a fast-paced, deadline-oriented environment materials that convey in-depth, creative and accurate information to inform and influence coverage in studio and game broadcasts, and throughout CBS Sports departments. The ideal candidate will use deep sports knowledge, an insatiable curiosity and sound news judgment, to provide statistical, analytical, biographical, and other information to support storytelling that is timely, relevant, and innovative! The Researcher will partner with teammates to develop ideas for graphical and other visual presentations for all sports in the CBS Sports portfolio, including but not limited to NFL, college football and basketball, golf, and soccer.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Use deep sports knowledge along with strong research techniques to generate and support ideas based on live sporting events, breaking news and other developments in the sports world.
- Create and deliver informational packets that include data about our games; statistical nuggets and analytical context; storylines ranging from matchups to profiles to features to columns; and ideas for on-screen elements.
- Conduct a variety of searches using statistical tools and databases, school/team websites, social media, other media outlets, and other sources to support storytelling and coverage for all game and studio productions
- Build relationships with producers, on-air talent, and graphics and video associates, to ensure the highest quality and depth of information
- Initiate and maintain files of milestones, historical records, trends and developing themes, as well as releases, story ideas, scheduled events, and other relevant information about the sports, conferences, teams, coaches and players covered on CBS Sports and CBS Sports Network
- Anticipate, identify and respond to current trends, developing storylines and noteworthy performances prior to and during live game action.
- Communicate in a timely and effective manner with content creators to provide thorough, creative and accurate statistical and storytelling information that will support and enhance productions.
- Deliver real-time reactions to notable performances, significant plays, and developing on-field storylines from live games.
- Chart out information that will be turned into graphics by presenting complex information in an easy-to-digest manner. Must have a keen eye to detail, an emphasis on accuracy and a focus on highlighting the priority storylines.
- Deliver materials to preview upcoming events and shows to anticipate trends, identify storylines to follow, and add context to developing angles.
- Proactively identify and suggest solutions to address potential coverage angles and storylines.
- Develop original, creative ideas for graphics and video elements that provide statistical or other analysis of games, storylines and trending issues in sports.
- Use advanced metrics and related statistics to develop creative angles for coverage
- Prepare general background/research material for other entities as needed.
- Excellent working knowledge of and interest in multiple sports, especially NFL, college football, college basketball, golf and soccer.
- A resourceful ability to conduct research and a passion for discovering and sharing new knowledge is a must.
- Must be able to work independently while also thriving in a team-oriented environment.
- Excellent interpersonal and multi-tasking skills, as well as a keen attention to detail, are required.
- Must demonstrate ability and desire to work in a fast-paced environment under deadline, to prioritize assignments and ensure accuracy.
- Must have excellent interpersonal and communication skills, proven ability to multitask, and demonstrate a keen attention to detail.
- Must be able to work nights, weekends and flexible hours.
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and in high-pressure environments.
- Must have experience with a variety of approaches to Internet searches and be fluent in electronic newsgathering techniques, including quickly navigating the Internet and best-practices for using social media.
- Must demonstrate ability to communicate ideas effectively and efficiently.
- Must be a self-starter with demonstrated initiative.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent preferred; current college students will be considered.
- Relevant educational or work experience in journalism, communications or production fields is preferred.
- Experience in sports studio/broadcast environments, or other sports media fields, a plus!
Hiring Salary Range: $42,500.00 - 48,300.00.