The Senior Accountant’s role is to ensure timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and
annual financial reporting for The Weather Channel Companies in accordance with GAAP.
The senior accountant position is an individual contributor working under the direct supervision of manager or director level associates in the areas of General Ledger and Consolidation and Revenue Accounting. The Senior Accountant’s role is to ensure timely and accurate monthly, quarterly, and
annual financial reporting for The Weather Channel Companies in accordance with GAAP including compiling and analyzing financial information, preparing journal entries, reconciling reports and financial data, preparing balance sheet account reconciliations and assisting in preparing monthly and ad hoc reports. This individual will also develop and monitor compliance with accounting policies and processes and will provide accounting guidance and support to Finance Managers, Budget Managers, other accounting team members, as well as Operational personnel to ensure accuracy in reporting and compliance with GAAP and TWCC accounting policies.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare necessary journal entries, analyses, and reports and perform other tasks as assigned in support of the monthly financial close for assigned area(s)/accounts.
- Review financial results for completeness. Perform flux analysis on trial balances to ensure accuracy of financial results.
- Prepare assigned monthly Balance Sheet reconciliations in Blackline® and in accordance with established schedules.
- Take responsibility for the day to day efficient operation and maintenance of assigned financial sub-systems or ERP modules.
- Assist with the identification and implementation of process improvements and system enhancements. Prepare and maintain process and control documentation.
- Interface directly and regularly with Operational business associates to provide necessary accounting and financial support of new initiatives or on-going business processes.
- Assist in assigned special departmental projects, ad hoc reporting, etc.
- Perform research of authoritative accounting literature as directed.
- Provide PBC (prepared by client) information, reports, and schedules as directed in support of quarterly reviews and annual audit, including supplemental\ information as required to support preparation of tax provision and compliance.
Education, Experience, Certification Requirements
- BS in Accounting (or equivalent) with a minimum of significant, on-going progress towards obtaining certification CPA or CMA (required for GL and preferred for Revenue Accounting); or
- Master's Degree in Accounting and CPA/CMA to preferred.
- 3-5 years of relevant, progressive accounting experience required. Mix of public accounting and industry experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Requires proficiency in the knowledge of U.S. GAAP, Sarbanes-Oxley compliance and some familiarity with and an awareness of the laws and regulations that apply to an accounting function are required to ensure compliance.
- Financial systems reporting experience in the design and maintenance of operational and financial reports.
- Prior ERP system experience - required. NetSuite and Planful -preferred
- Experience in working in a large company, multi-location business unit environment - required.
- Advanced Excel proficiency. Working knowledge of visual basic a plus.
- Working knowledge of Access - preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills and a customer service focus with all levels of customers, including external and internal customer groups, other business unit financial personnel, and higher levels of management.
- Excellent Written/Verbal communication skills
- Effective time management skills, ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Exceptional analytical skills