WB Games Boston is seeking to hire a Senior Narrative Designer to nurture and advance the in-game storytelling vision & execution for a new mobile game based on one of the hottest franchises in the world.
Greater Boston Area
Aug 09, 2023
WB Games Boston is seeking to hire a Senior Narrative Designer to nurture and advance the in-game storytelling vision & execution for a new mobile game based on one of the hottest franchises in the world. The title is a free-to-play social strategy game in early development with ample opportunity for ownership and impact. This role reports to the project Director of Design.
Skills & Responsibilities
The ideal candidate has a writing or game design background with a honed approach to our following project needs:
- Developing a cast of characters and their profiles.
- Authoring and integrating a narrative premise into game introduction and onboarding.
- Creating plot arcs that intrigue the player and align with their gameplay actions.
- Writing engaging, authentic, yet brief dialogue.
- Planning Live-Ops content.
- Collaborating with the art department to imagine game items that support the world and lore.
- Creating documentation that conveys narrative intentions and delivery methods.
- Organizing a narrative bible that the team can reference.
- Organizing strings for localization and implementation.
- Implementing Quests.
- Writing and reviewing game copy.
- The ideal candidate for this role has excellent teamwork skills and feels comfortable with a game design culture that includes and respects the passion and creativity of all team members regardless of discipline. We are open-minded, curious, humble, and validation-oriented. In addition, this candidate is:
- Imaginative and incisive in order to “sell the dream” of the grandest vision or the smallest detail and what it means to our player and/or business.
- Ability to independently act on creative direction to create on-brand storytelling and implementable artifacts that respect the limitations of our medium.
- Adept at liaising with all disciplines including production, art, engineering, and PM, with an internalized understanding of their different needs, how to communicate with them, and the specific natures in which they overlap with the discipline of narrative design.
- An enthusiastic creative voice and driver of incremental progress toward our goals.
- A champion of game design elegance, targeting the most impact for the least complexity, with a simplification and approachability mindset.
- Ability to reimagine game actions, items, and interfaces into brand-specific metaphors that creative an immersive and delightful fan experience.
- 5+ years narrative design experience, favoring mobile, F2P, or live-service.
- 5+ years professional writing experience.
- Experience with large IP a plus.