We are on the hunt for an experienced, rockstar editor to join Thrillist at Vox Media. As a member of the Travel team, you’ll report to the Editorial Director of Travel to help shape and implement content strategy, manage our day-to-day workflow, and above all, bring fun, inspiring, serviceable travel stories to life. This is a temporary, full-time position.
We are on the hunt for an experienced, rockstar editor to join Thrillist at Vox Media. As a member of the Travel team, you’ll report to the Editorial Director of Travel to help shape and implement content strategy, manage our day-to-day workflow, and above all, bring fun, inspiring, serviceable travel stories to life.
The perfect candidate will have a ton of travel experience under their belt, with Jeopardy-levels of knowledge about both domestic and international destinations, a good understanding of the travel industry, and an unquenchable curiosity about people, places, and cultures around the world. Your passion and perspective will help set the tone for our travel section.
You’ll work with a stable of staff writers and freelancers to come up with fresh ideas, brainstorm killer headlines, tap expert sources, keep on top of industry news and trends, and nail the Thrillist voice. A great writer and storyteller yourself, you’ll apply your sharp curatorial eye, fine-tuned copyediting skills, and fact-checking know-how to everything we publish.
- Manage freelance writers every step of the way to produce engaging, tightly-reported, travel stories
- Expertly manage your team’s time while ensuring everything is running smoothly and efficiently
- Ideate original, reported feature stories that cut to the heart of what is relevant to the Thrillist audience
- Help keep track of your team’s monthly freelance budget and ensure freelancers are paid in a timely manner
- Attend regular company-wide pitch meetings and contribute amazing ideas across multiple teams
- Liaise between freelancers and the social media and art teams whenever needed
- Edit with an eye for detail, and a specific emphasis on the most important parts of a story: the copy, the headline, the visuals, and the formatting
- Brainstorm concepts for new franchises and tentpole projects
- Work directly with the Editorial Director to set and execute the team's editorial strategies
- Use reporting tools (such as Google Analytics, Chartbeat, SEMRush, and custom dashboards) to analyze traffic and SEO data to inform strategy and decision making
SUCCESS WILL LOOK LIKE:
This role requires masterful multi-tasking. You’ll be expected to work quickly and strategically to meet ambitious output goals and keep projects on track.
- Staying on top of travel industry trends, consumer behavior, and current events to keep our content timely and relevant
- Using data insights and analytics to better understand our audience and inform content strategy
- Writing and editing experiential travel content with a global scope
- Growing our network of freelancers and guest experts to bring a local’s perspective to everything we publish
- Helping to support the Editorial Director in overseeing and pushing forward the vision of the Travel section
- Playing a pivotal role in growing the Thrillist Travel brand across all our platforms
WHO YOU ARE
- 5+ years of experience in digital journalism, including at least one year as an editor
- Experience working closely and efficiently with freelance writers
- Exceptional writing, copyediting, and fact-checking skills
- Superior communication skills, especially when providing constructive feedback
- A knack for strategic thinking, creative brainstorming, and problem-solving
- Strong understanding of SEO best practices
- A sharp eye for photography and talent acquisition
- A genuine love for travel, food, adventure, and connecting with people all over the world
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to manage many projects and deadlines simultaneously
- Proven experience with peer-to-peer coaching and teamwork as well as individual growth
- Deep understanding of the Thrillist brand and lifestyle
- Openness to constructive criticism from peers and managers alike
- Flexibility with workflow routines and willingness to jump in or out of projects when needed
- Expertise in food and drink, entertainment, outdoor adventure, sustainability, diversity and inclusion, sports, commerce, and/or other passion points that tie into travel experiences
- Experience managing a team
- An existing network of freelance talent, industry experts, and/or public relations professionals
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote.
Pay Range: $77,000—$100,000 USD