We’re looking for a Senior Producer to join the NowThis team within Vox Media! As a member of the NowThis team, you’ll help the Supervising Producer set the team’s daily editorial agenda across a number of platforms, such as trending short-form video, Instagram feed, and our daily evening newsletter, KnowThis.
Mar 06, 2023
The ideal candidate is a voracious news consumer who understands what type of content is widely shared across digital media, and is able to spot such stories before they’ve gone viral. Strong news judgment and a nose for sniffing out high-performing headlines is essential, and the ability to write smart, meaningful copy on tight deadlines is especially important. The Senior Producer will report to one of the team’s Supervising Producers.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
Responsibilities for the Senior Producer include but are not limited to:
- Facilitate content optimization with Vertical (TikTok, IG, Snap) by helping maintain lanes between producers and Vertical teams so that select stories are seen across platforms via one form or another
- Helping to craft our daily evening newsletter, KnowThis, with multiple top stories and written pitches each day.
- Breaking down complex & important subject matter into short form text & visual content, without sacrificing factual accuracy or sensitivity
- Identifying interview subjects to feature in our human interest series, “On The Bright Side”
- Finding creative, visual ways to tell important stories that may not inherently have a strong visual element
- Working with video editors on projects that require an extra level of context or editorialization.
- Managing priorities and workload effectively to meet deadlines daily.
- Ensuring all content follows NowThis's newsroom Style Guide & editorial standards.
- Reviewing scripts and videos of other team members, ensuring that each is factually accurate, journalistically fair, consistent with NowThis S&P, and demonstrates strong storytelling and stylistic polish
- Demonstrating the ability to be a strong team player; taking initiative in looking for ways to elevate NowThis’ content & brand as a whole
- Working closely with the Supervising Producer to ideate and execute long term editorial goals, event planning, and more
- Helping to manage backend CMS programming to the NowThisNews.com homepage and the site’s Editorial Series landing pages.
WHO YOU ARE
- Working with the Supervising Producer and setting the team’s daily editorial agenda as well as pitch, ideate, and oversee key projects in the team’s daily workflow
- Assist in the approval of pitches, scripts and edits during production
- Developing strong peer relationships, working closely with the Supervising Producer and Project Manager
- Being communicative and providing peer feedback on work submitted at each stage of the production process
- 5+ years of experience in a digital newsroom. If you have any past experience specifically in a supervisory/people management position, please detail it.
- The ability to write copy for breaking news and trending news stories on tight, daily deadlines is a top requirement.
- An understanding of how content is consumed on the internet and why certain videos go viral.
- Strong research, writing, and storytelling abilities
- A genuine enthusiasm for short form video & photo storytelling as a medium and for covering daily stories in a 24/7 news cycle.
- Proven experience covering a wide range of subject matters.
- Familiarity with the style, voice, and values of NowThis as a digital outlet.
- A scrupulous attention to factual detail.
- Must be a strong multitasker; the ability to accurately juggle multiple projects of differing lengths, complexity, and deadlines.
- Experience cultivating original sources; experience securing all necessary legal clearances & releases from subjects, locations, and/or third party licensors.
- An ability to understand data analytics and insight received, apply to the content creation process when and where needed and/or expected, and with the support of the Publishing and Insights teams, monitor the impact of that data application.
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We would love to have a chat and see if you could be a great addition to our team. We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.