This role is responsible for executing and supporting communications and publicity efforts for ESPN’s Major League Baseball, Little League and ESPN Radio properties.
Marketing / Advertising / Pr Services
Aug 24, 2023
This role is responsible for executing and supporting communications and publicity efforts for ESPN’s Major League Baseball, Little League and ESPN Radio properties. The role will also provide periodic support for ESPN’s National Basketball League property as well as ESPN Podcasts.
- Support the development and execution of detailed publicity campaigns for a variety of ESPN Major League Baseball, Little League and ESPN Radio events and content.
- Oversee publicity for additional properties, including ESPN’s National Basketball Association and FIBA (International Basketball) categories.
- Help shape and drive ESPN Communications efforts around company priorities such as innovation, diversity, equity and inclusion, and audience expansion.
- Oversee day-to-day communications strategy for assigned properties, including schedule announcements, media opportunities, issue management, talent counsel, and more.
- Develop press materials, including media kits, releases, fact sheets, bios, plan press events, etc.
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media members in various beats, including television, business, sports, trades, and non-traditional media (blogs, social platforms and influencers)
- Identify and create story angles, pitch them to various media outlets and generate publicity results.
- Coordination of on-air commentator, executive and athlete interviews with press.
- Generate story ideas and multimedia assets to creatively engage a variety of audiences online. This includes regularly creating new content for ESPN PR social platforms and ESPN Front Row, the company’s outward facing blog.
- Monitor industry news in print, online and on social media platforms and advise appropriate colleagues of important developments.
- Maintain press lists and create reports that track results related to specific initiatives.
- Build strong internal relationships to work collaboratively across teams and departments.
- Collaborate with designated communication reps from key business partners, including MLB league and team officials, to drive shared goals.
- Embrace new tools and approaches to serve as a 360 communicator, serving both internal and external audiences.
- When appropriate, act as company liaison and spokesperson with media.
- Support ESPN Communications department on other publicity projects as needed.
- Crisis communications and issue management support.
- Understand the demands of working for a 24/7 media company and be willing and available to work evenings and weekends.
- 2-4 years experience in television communications, public relations or media relations working with and pitching reporters beyond sports, securing story placement, managing and reporting follow-up and coordinating events.
- Demonstrated writing, editing and communications skills at a high level.
- Results-oriented and experienced in media pitching across spectrum of media (TV, print, online, radio, magazines, trades).
- Demonstrated knowledge/understanding of sports, media and news value.
- National media contacts across TV (morning/late night), print, online, magazines, radio, trades.
- Strategic and creative thinker.
- Self-starter and positive personality.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks on deadline in fast-paced environment.
- Proficiency in social media: Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, etc.
- Basic knowledge of TV ratings, sports cable TV and direct-to-consumer landscape preferred.
- Flexibility, resourcefulness and an ability to thrive in a fast-paced, changing and growing environment.
- Must be able to travel for work/production/events.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in Communications, Public Relations, Journalism, English or a comparable area.