In previs, a Shot Creator pieces together elements, sets them in motion, and ‘films’ them with virtual cameras to create cinematic sequences that represent the creative blueprint.
London, United Kingdom
Mar 06, 2023
The Third Floor is seeking ambitious artists who are looking for a golden opportunity to make their mark on the entertainment industry. By using the language of cinematography and animation in tandem to design the strongest possible sequences, a Shot Creator holds an impactful and highly collaborative role in the filmmaking process.
In previs, a Shot Creator pieces together elements, sets them in motion, and ‘films’ them with virtual cameras to create cinematic sequences that represent the creative blueprint. Nearly any aspect of a shot can be tweaked instantaneously to improve the composition or the timing of the action. Working with the previs supervisor, Shot Creators produce previs shots and sequences in Maya that help to support the director's vision via appropriate use of camera movement, lenses, composition, staging, lighting, and editing.
Shot creators will also support postvis teams during the editorial stage, by integrating and compositing the animation or CG elements into the live action plates using either After effects or Nuke. The work of a Shot Creator supports the effective creation, communication and realization of the project from development, through to production and post.
(Please note: If an open position is not available at this time, we can retain your application and get in touch as soon as a suitable opportunity becomes available.)
The ideal candidate will:
- Possess a strong sense of cinematic composition and animation timing
- Have knowledge across multiple 3D and CG techniques including, but not limited to, animation, FX, modeling, lighting and rendering
- Have a good knowledge of the cinematic language and camera terminology
- Show passion for cinematography and how to convey it to a story
- Be adaptable, flexible and accepting of change throughout a project
- Animate a wide variety of subject matter from vehicles to small objects, to realistic character performances, all with a strong sense of camera animation
- Know how to use motion blur, depth of field and other effects, to create realism
- Be able to clean up and accentuate mocap animation
- Be team-oriented and able to successfully take direction from a supervisor but also work individually
- Possess strong communication skills.
- Autodesk Maya is essential. Unreal Engine knowledge is a huge plus.
- Adobe After Effects, PFTrack, 3DEqualizer, Nuke and Autodesk MotionBuilder are desirable.