The digital team needs a special projects producer to oversee our most important coverage and the unique digital reporting we create that speaks most to the NewsNation mission.
Greater Chicago Area
Apr 05, 2022
The special projects producer will be a strong journalist – this person can come with a background in print, broadcast or digital – who can tell a good digital story using both the written word but then leverage other digital platforms and tools: from social media to digital video to other alternative story formats.
The position reports to the digital managing editor.
- Oversee and organize work to your team that often extends beyond your shift
- Manage team of digital-first reporters including editing, assigning, ideation and collaborating on storytelling on multiple digital platforms
- Collaborate with broadcast team members to produce content and find appropriate places for digital-first journalism on air.
- Use audience analytics and digital platform data to inform assignments and programming decisions.
- Identify unique angles during breaking news coverage to help differentiate our coverage
- Provide editorial feedback and guidance to staff.
- Train and ensure digital staff know how to use and take the most advantage of digital publishing tools and processes that aid in content creation, curation, circulation and distribution.
- Provide feedback on big-picture NewsNation digital strategies
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, advertising or marketing or an equivalent combination of education and work-related experience
- 5+ years working with digital media including experience with SEO and digital storytelling on social and web
- 3+ years working in major market or national newsroom (broadcast, print or digital)
- Quick decision maker and creative thinker
- Strong news judgement and ability to determine when local stories have national appeal
- Track record of conceiving major reporting initiatives, managing them through its creation and lead them to success
- Background in managing reporters a plus
- Experience as a newspaper editor or in a digital-first operation a plus
- Familiarity with the operations of a broadcast newsroom a plus
- Familiarity with Solutions Journalism techniques a plus
- Excellent communicator, both oral written