WABE seeks an innovative, analytical, collaborative, energetic radio leader that will enhance a high level and top performing radio station in Atlanta, GA. This critical leadership role reports to the VP of Audio and is responsible for the overall supervision of programming, format, and sound of WABE.
Audio / Music / Sound
Greater Atlanta Area
Sep 25, 2023
WABE seeks an innovative, analytical, collaborative, energetic radio leader that will enhance a high level and top performing radio station in Atlanta, GA. This critical leadership role reports to the VP of Audio and is responsible for the overall supervision of programming, format, and sound of WABE. This role works collaboratively to lead and support local radio programs while ensuring a competitive and market leading programming schedule. This role sets forth plans, policies, implementation, goals, and objectives for Radio and works collaboratively with other departments to achieve success in concert with and throughout the organization.
- Collaboratively manages radio personnel as an inclusive leader that upholds WABE values.
- Works to analyze ratings, station performance, market trends, audience demographic, and continuously fine tune the programming and maximize its appeal, audience, diversity, reach and revenue (including HD).
- Development of strategic audience growth strategies.
- Works with VP of Audio to innovate and optimize the utilization of additional broadcast channels or partners, including HD, television, community, and college platforms.
- Oversee local programs and talent management.
- Develop and grow national original radio show and distribution.
- Oversees station’s relationship with its listeners and larger communities it serves by actively promoting the station, its programs and services.
- Helps to establish new partnerships as well as enhance existing partnerships with community leaders and groups to find more ways to reach a larger and more diverse audience (ex. HBCUs and Latino community audience strategy and market analysis).
- Maintains an active awareness of industry trends, rules and regulations and actively participates in regional and national meetings involving public radio.
- Collaborates with VP of Audio on strategic multichannel programming of WABE podcasts, including shows, features, and talent.
- Works with Marketing and Membership departments in planning, preparation, execution and promotion of special events and fundraising activities (pledge drives).
- Works with VP of Audio and EVP of Underwriting in programmatic decisions and impact to revenue.
- Plans and maintains fiscal budget and works with the Finance to ensure that financial goals and objectives are met.
- Works with engineering and operations staff to plan and implement new technology and equipment, ensures station’s technical and broadcast quality and ensures that station’s operations are in compliance with all applicable FCC and other federal and state regulations.
- Reports to VP of Audio that all FCC, contractual and legal regulations and obligations are constantly and consistently observed and monitored for compliance and timely filing.
- Works in coordination with appropriate staff to direct WABE’s promotional strategies and processes including, but not limited to, radio on-air, WABE-TV on-air, web, internet, print, outdoor and community promotional opportunities.
- Oversees relations and compliance with CPB and other Federal and any appropriate State funding agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism or Communications, preferably with an emphasis on broadcasting or equivalent work experience.
- At least five (5) years management experience in public radio preferably in management or operations.
- Supervisory experience, good organization and leadership qualities and a broad knowledge of the public radio industry a must.
- An energetic, forward-thinking and creative individual with high ethical standards and an appropriate professional image. A strategic visionary with sound technical skills, analytical ability, good judgment and strong operational focus. A well organized and self-directed individual who is “politically savvy” and a team player.
- An excellent negotiator who is experienced in contracts. A decisive individual who possesses a “big picture” perspective and is well versed in systems.
- Excellent writing and editing skills.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to juggle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Ability to work collaboratively with a creative team to solve problems and achieve common goals.