The staff writer plays an integral role in iOne’s coverage of what’s happening in the news and pop culture cycle. This writer will have a specific “beat,” for which they will create content across our sites.
Greater New York City Area
Jun 27, 2023
The staff writer plays an integral role in iOne’s coverage of what’s happening in the news and pop culture cycle. This writer will have a specific “beat,” for which they will create content across our sites. The ideal candidate is as comfortable covering celebrity news as they are covering cultural moments. Please note that this role may involve some nights and weekends hours as needed. This person has a keen sense of what is newsworthy for our audience and is constantly looking for stories on social media, news and original sources.
- Publish 3-4 total posts daily, across multiple iOne brands.
- Pitch relevant ideas and assist with freelancer assignments as needed.
- Conduct interviews with relevant talent and sources for coverage.
- Monitor social media to discover trending news and hot topics to cover.
- Use site analytics to determine which content is most engaging and performs well.
- Cover relevant events and TV shows of interest to our audience.
- Develop relationships with PR reps/brands.
- Assist with social media posting as needed.
- Brainstorm tentpole series and content ideas regularly.
- Comply with Network and Urban One’s mandatory trainings and adhere to related course deadlines.
CRITICAL COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
- Must be an avid consumer of news, current events, politics, and entertainment and culture topics, with particular attention to content related to African-American audiences.
- Ability to create viral content that is not dependent on celebrity news.
- Working knowledge of traffic monitoring tools including Google Analytics and Parse.ly
- WordPress CMS publishing
- Strong knowledge of reporting and editing standards and practices.
- Ability to work a full-time, flexible schedule and abide by the nature of a 24-hour news cycle
- BA/BS (preferred) in journalism, liberal arts, or English,
- 2-3 years of relevant experience in online publishing environment.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to write flawless copy on deadline in a fast-paced environment.
**SALARY RANGE: $25.12/hr to $28.85/hr**