The Houston Chronicle’s suburban news network is looking for an all-around digital native who can confidently handle every aspect of online journalism, from producing a newsletter, to engaging readers over social media to smartly reporting news that is the talk of the Houston area.
Houston, Texas Area
Jun 09, 2022
You’ll join a team of like-minded journalists working hard to tell the story of the largest city in Texas.
Responsible for updating the websites and helping to report news -- everything from quick-hit trending stories to local guides for HoustonChronicle.com and its network of websites and platforms with the goal of increasing user interactivity, subscriptions, and traffic, particularly among readers in the Houston suburbs.
● Write or produce a steady stream of interesting content that is packaged, published and promoted in a timely way that generates engagement.
● Produce the HCN insider newsletter for their respective market
● Post to social platforms and optimize social engagement strategy
● Monitor all forms of media (print, TV, digital, blogs and social) and be the first to report stories. The ideal candidate is always on the hunt for exclusive and or trending content that will grow our audience.
● Excellent at writing accurate and interesting headlines.
● Understand different ways to tell a story, particularly producing quick-turn interactives and short trending or breaking stories, when needed.
● Evaluate website data trends in an effort to make decisions on both daily content and longer term content development that will grow local traffic.
● Build positive working relationships with newsroom staff and management, work collaboratively on breaking news or enterprise content.
- 1-3 years’ experience in digital media and journalism.
- Understands web metrics and analytics tools to measure audience behavior.
- Great headline writer that can take into account SEO and social media.
- Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision maker.
- Capable of researching, interviewing and writing original news articles.
- Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style.
- Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ease with/ability to learn new technology independently and quickly.
- Comfortable adapting to changes in evolving industry and thrives under pressure.
- Some schedule flexibility (nights, weekends).
- Proficiency in MS Office; HTML, CSS and Photoshop experience a plus.