Busch Gardens Williamsburg: The Theatrical Services Technician (Lighting), Sr. at Busch Gardens Williamsburg is responsible for assisting the Lighting Specialist with daily lighting operations and ongoing installation, troubleshooting, maintenance and repair of all Entertainment and Park wide technical systems as it relates to Entertainment shows and events.
Grip / Lighting / Electric
Feb 25, 2022
What you get to do:
- Perform entertainment service technical duties at a general level of proficiency with an understanding and demonstration of basic theatrical technical skills.
- Troubleshoot needed maintenance and make minor repairs on lighting system, lighting fixtures or other technical equipment.
- Support Park wide events with install, operation and strike of lighting systems as needed.
- Perform warehouse prep and maintenance and other behind the scenes duties for entertainment shows and/or events.
- Perform all duties as directed by leadership for the good of the department and park.
- Work as part of a team to increase productivity while providing excellent guest service.
- Responsible for guest, personal and animal safety by bringing potentially dangerous situations to the attention of their leadership.
- Maintain park cleanliness, maintenance and safety standards through all assigned tasks.
- Consistently demonstrate courteous and professional behavior in all work aspects with all team members and guests. Demonstrating respect for their fellow employees, performers and animals.
- Develop a professional approach to the career and function as a team member showing consideration, tolerance, cooperation, reliability and the ability to accept criticism.
- Practice safe work habits including, but not limited to, the use of personal protective equipment, lifting and reporting of unsafe situations.
- Foster a professional work environment displaying both team and individual contributions.
- Adhere to all BGW and departmental policies.
- Lead lighting projects under direction of Lighting Supervisor.
- Including, but not limited to, preparatory venue maintenance, installing event lighting, assisting with hang and focus of show/event lighting elements, running cable, and other various manual labor to ensure the complete execution of lighting projects.
- Perform follow-up of trouble calls, S.O.P.'s, repairs and maintenance of all lighting technical services daily responsibilities.
- Work with outside contractors under the direction of lighting specialist.
- Additional duties as assigned.
What it takes to succeed:
- Must be 18 years in all safety critical positions.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Must be physically capable of working at heights (catwalks, boom lifts, man lifts, etc.)., lifting 50 lbs. or more, and working comfortably around water.
- Must be willing to walk and stand for long periods of time in extreme weather conditions.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule that includes weekdays, weekends, evenings, overnights and holidays.
- Must be able to multitask while maintaining a positive attitude to ensure excellent guest service.
- Knowledge of tools related to the entertainment industry (i.e., multimeter, solder equipment, hand tools).
- Knowledge of theatrical lighting and familiarity with electrics as well as an understanding of Electrical Theory in order to calculate and balance electrical loads
- Understanding and practice of hanging and focusing instruments, proper cable management, safe power distribution.
- Ability to read a plot, pull needed equipment, and install based off the plot preferred.
- Ability to troubleshoot problems with equipment and signal flow as well as assist with training other technicians as needed.
- Ability to lead a crew as assigned by the lighting specialist.
- Ability to lead a project to completion.
- Ability to fulfill tasks and punch lists without direct supervision.
- Ability to train and teach fellow ambassadors
- Ability to integrate, program, and operate an ETC console.
- Knowledge and ability to properly load a truss
- Correctly address fixtures
- Ability to properly setup a light tree
- Knowledge of rigging, electrical practices such as power distribution, soldering, wiring connection points on fixtures and use of conventional and LED lighting fixtures.
- Shows fellow employees respect and in turn is respected among their peers
- Minimum Three (3) years of professional experience as a Lighting Technician or equivalent work experience preferred.
- Ability to operate a boom lift – will provide training as needed.
- Ability to solder preferred
- Ability to obtain a BGW driver’s license in order to operate BGW vehicles
The perks of the position:
- As part of the SeaWorld family, you’ll enjoy a fun, fast-paced environment and great teammates, as well as:
- FREE park admission
- Discounted park admission tickets and passes for family and friends
- Park discounts on food, merchandise, etc.
Day, Evening, Overnight