As an experienced VFX Art Director, reporting to Skate's Franchise Art Director, you will be part of our Art Leadership team. As a geo-diverse studio, our team members around the globe can either work from home, in the office or a hybrid of both.
Apr 10, 2023
- Support Art leadership in achieving a high standard for the VFX art vision of Skate!
- Develop and communicate a visual direction for VFX to support gameplay needs, customization, cosmetic, sign and feedback, expressive visual communication and environmental VFX in a style that follow the general art direction of the brand.
- Create style-guides to describe how VFX will contribute to the visual direction and establish standards of quality through the joint development of visual targets with the guidance of the Art Director.
- Evaluate the needs on the current production roadmap, to build the VFX department and establish outsourcing collaborations, working with talent acquisition and outsource management.
- Drive prototyping development in-engine with the intent of defining visual effects direction.
- Partners with DD/Operations on resourcing and budgeting
- Educate and Articulate VFX concepts to the game team through presentations including members of other disciplines, such as Engineering, Operations, and Production.
- Work with Technical Artists and Rendering SEs to set technical standards and production processes to guide the VFX team's work and ensure that their work achieves visual quality while also meeting performance standards.
- Stay current with technical knowledge about the current state of the industry in real-time Visual Effects.
- Manage direct reports (3-5), mentor and provide feedback to them on artistic and technical skills and performance; provide them with career growth opportunities.
- Sets clear goals, expectations and success measures for self and team aligned to the franchise plan
- Fosters a diverse and inclusive environment that is attractive to talent and creates a culture where everyone can thrive
Please note that you do not need to qualify for all requirements to be considered. We encourage you to apply if you can meet most of the requirements and are comfortable opening a dialog to be considered.
- You have at least 10 years experience in real time game vfx
- You have 5+ years of experience in a leadership or management role
- Preferably you're experienced in developing real-time VFX for a single title that scales across multiple platforms with a wide performance delta (e.g., Mobile, Console, Gaming PC).
- You're experienced with architecture of a holistic system for efficient VFX placement & generation applicable to realistic open-world or sandbox titles as well as 2D and cell shading stylized sign and feedback supporting design intentions, cosmetic enhancement.
- You have competence with shader development (either HLSL or graph-based) for development of pixel and vertex shaders to enhance visual effects and systems.
- Have some experience with SideFX Houdini or other procedural content generation package.
- Adept at using both art and data to formulate visual direction. You know how to quickly adapt your direction to match KPIs (key performance indicator) and researches founding of a Live service development model.
- Experience developing games for the mobile market and developing 2D and 3D assets in various art style for monetized live service games is a plus
- Experience creating visual filters, post-FX, and screen space effects desirable
- Proficiency in texturing, modeling, rigging and animation desirable.