Dotdash’s growing video team is seeking a creative, fast Video Editor to craft shareable and engaging short-to-mid-form instructional video for multiple platforms, including our 0&0s, YouTube, Instagram, and TikTok.
Greater New York City Area
Feb 17, 2022
In this role you work closely with producers to create snappy and stylized web videos across multiple sites, in varying formats – from longer form hosted videos for YouTube to super fast TikTok cuts, and everything in between. Top candidates will have an exceptional sense of pacing and graphical aesthetics and a sharp eye for best practices across all these platforms. As Video Editor, you’ll have an excellent understanding of video editing techniques and how to hook audiences – and keep them watching to the end. Our ideal Video Editor can juggle many projects at once and is dedicated to editing videos quickly and creatively to improve our onsite experience and grow our social audiences, while meeting aggressive volume targets. You should also have a working knowledge of graphic design and motion graphics (as it pertains to in-video graphics) and have a knack for creating compelling thumbnails. In order to work efficiently, you’ll need a keen understanding of the technical side of editing, including export settings and asset management. Candidates must be proficient in Adobe Creative Suite. Familiarity with Google Docs, Sheets, Airtable, and JIRA (or other workflow management tools) preferred, as they are used throughout the post-production workflow. This is an exciting role for meaningful creative input and a chance to have ownership over a wide variety of video formats across many platforms.
About Your Contribution:
- Coordinate and communicate with in-house producers to creatively and efficiently execute short-form web videos in a fast-paced environment for multiple online brands
- Seamlessly pivot between GFX packages and edit styles, including home improvement, recipes, product reviews, beauty, sit-down interviews, and doc-style projects. Move across projects quickly with little ramp time.
- Quickly identify and implement interesting approaches to pacing, edit style, and video structure
- Proactively identify creative ways to incorporate text, sounds effects, music and more to make videos more engaging
- Take ownership over the final exports as much as producers do. Bring your technical skill and creativity to every edit and be self-sufficient. Build cuts based on scripts and articles with little guidance from producers.
- Assist with the design, development, and execution of graphics packages and in-video motion graphics
- Manage feedback from producers and deliver flawless edits and revisions; strive to catch errors before they make it up the chain
- Execute basic color correction and audio mixes
- Manage personal production queue, asset delivery, and upload across content management tools including Google Sheets, Airtable, and JIRA
- 3-5 years experience in video editing for digital publishers. Bonus points for experience with instructional and lifestyle content.
- Expertise in Adobe Creative Suite, particularly with Premiere, Photoshop, and AfterEffects
- Experience with high-volume production and editing multiple videos in one day
- Ability to identify and/or create narratives hand-in-hand with producers
- Stellar organization skills, both within project files and within the post-production workflow as a whole
- Immersed in digital video across multiple platforms; knowledge of video formats and aesthetics on YouTube, TikTok and Instagram
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills. Proven experience fluidly communicating and collaborating with producers and project stakeholders. Ability to see spelling and grammar errors in basic text.
- Self-starter who requires little oversight
- Flawless attention to detail
- Technical know-how and understanding of file types, export settings, and asset management