This position is responsible for developing and implementing various communications strategies to support the IFC Films Group’ box office, revenue, streaming metrics and branding goals for IFC Films, RLJE Films and Shudder Films.
This position is responsible for developing and implementing various communications strategies to support the IFC Films Group’ box office, revenue, streaming metrics and branding goals for IFC Films, RLJE Films and Shudder Films. This position is responsible for increasing brand awareness and driving tune-in through the creation of comprehensive communications strategies and strategic promotions/partnerships designed to reach key external audiences, including viewers, clients, talent, television and filmmaking communities. This role will also serve as eyes and ears for the network, observing trends and identifying strategic and brand relationship opportunities.
The position will report into the SVP of PR based in New York. In addition, this position will work in conjunction with the other VPs in the PR department as well as the Corporate and Trade PR Team to ensure long-term coordination and provide a strong, strategic focus to all external messages.
- Develop and lead consumer press strategies across the IFC Films Group. Works with SVP of PR to develop and supervise the implementation of goals, strategies, tactics and timelines to create PR plans for assigned films and their marketing/branding efforts. In a given year, this includes supporting approximately 12-15 theatrical film releases through IFC Films, 10-12 transactional films through RLJE, and 15-20 horror films through Shudder.
- Execute effective public relations plans through day-to-day supervision of publicity staff and agencies/consultants.
- Draft key messaging and Q&As for talent/filmmakers and executives in advance of key interviews.
- Write compelling materials for press kits, stunts, special events and other PR assignments. This includes: press releases, positioning statements, speeches, articles, backgrounders and pitch letters.
- Supervise all aspects of event coordination and resulting including press stunts, conferences, screenings, press junkets, media tours, promotional visits and local marketing activities.
- Leverage media contacts and relationships to build the IFC Films Group’s profile within the industry
- Participate in branding and positioning exercises as well as follow-up messaging to be used in trade interviews, industry meetings, filmmaker discussions, etc.
- Day-to-day supervision of IFC Films Group PR team including Director, Publicist/Senior Publicist and Coordinator, as well as outside PR agencies and consultants.
- Work closely with EVP and SVP on any crises related to series assigned, including but not limited to writing talking points, Q&A, statements, etc.
- Manage and build relationships with filmmakers, producers and cast.
- Work closely with awards, talent relations, marketing, digital, programming, production and scheduling departments to ensure that efforts are coordinated and maximized.
- Establish detailed budgets for PR campaigns and oversight of budgets
- Work day-to-day with trade PR to develop unified strategies between all Company assets, ensuring that IFC Films Groups’ consumer PR goals and activities are in sync with larger corporate goals. Work closely with trade PR to identify and strategize solutions for potential long-term challenges for the businesses.
QUALIFICATIONS (Required & Preferred)
- Bachelor's – Marketing, Public Relations or Communications.
- 10+ years in entertainment and media, preferably in film, and with a strong interest in and understanding of the indie film market as well as horror content.
- Extensive experience in public relations, corporate communications and marketing in feature films and/or films on streaming platforms.
- Strong understanding of media and knowledge of key members of the press.
- Understanding of entertainment industry and celebrities.
- Strong managerial and analytical skills.
- Understanding of activity planning, accrual accounting and budgeting processes
- Collaborative leadership style across divisions and functions.
- Ability to delegate, manage and motivate teams of varying capability levels.
- Ability to develop working relationships with professionals in the TV/film industries.
- Strategic thinking skills; creative problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized, clear communicator, able to address large groups
- Project management skills – ability to manage several projects simultaneously with accurate and timely results.
The base compensation range for this position is $170,000 to $185,000 commensurate with experience.