Chicago Shakespeare Theater: The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for managing the stage wardrobe and dressing processes and procedures for all Chicago Shakespeare productions.
Live Event / On Location Services
Wardrober / Stylist
Greater Chicago Area
Oct 12, 2023
The Wardrobe Supervisor is responsible for managing the stage wardrobe and dressing processes and procedures for all Chicago Shakespeare productions. The Wardrobe Supervisor creates and maintains run sheets and other paperwork needed to run the dresser tracks and maintain the costume design. The Wardrobe Supervisor is also responsible for managing dressing room assignments, coordinating dry cleaning schedules, and keeping the Costume department infrastructure maintained and well stocked.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Drives IDEA to Action platform by engaging in committees, events, training and other initiatives as needed.
- Models CST’s core values of service, ingenuity, and collaboration as well as its customer service ethos.
- Champions the organization’s commitment to a respectful, inclusive and equitable workplace
- Coordinates the hiring, training, scheduling, and management of wardrobe personnel for Chicago Shakespeare productions and events.
- Creates paperwork that details the costume plot for each show to prepare dressers for their tracks.
- Updates costume plots based on information from rehearsal reports and costume design development.
- Coordinates maintenance and repairs on show garments between costume workroom and wardrobe personnel.
- Maintains CST costume inventory.
- Procures laundry and wardrobe supplies.
- Schedules and coordinates dry cleaning.
- Pulls and organizes rehearsal costumes.
- Assists with understudy fittings.
- Attends and runs understudy track for put in rehearsals.
- Serves as swing/cover dresser on Chicago Shakespeare productions, or when more covers are needed, hires, and prepares swing dressers to cover as needed.
- Takes archival show photos
- Assists with events where costumes are required, including access programs and media appearances.
- Tracks wardrobe labor and costs.
- Maintaining a clean work environment
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Strong understanding of the process of setting and running wardrobe for theatrical performances.
- Laundry skills.
- Intermediate hand and machine sewing skills.
- Excellent time management skills in completing tasks and overseeing the completion of tasks.
- Creative problem solving.
- Active desire to collaborate with others and work as a member of a team.
- Strong interpersonal, communication, and listening skills.
- Attention to detail.
- Work hours scheduled to accommodate each production
- Overtime hours will be necessary.
- Weekend hours will be necessary.
- Worksite is primarily at the CST facilities on Navy Pier in Chicago, IL but will at times work in other locations such as the CST Warehouse, City Parks and other off-site performance venues.
- Will regularly be required to wear PPE during work activities.
- Perform a variety of physical tasks including but not limited to climbing, stooping, pushing, bending, kneeling, reaching, lifting, and pulling.
- Manipulate rolling costume racks of up to 50 lbs.
- Lift baskets and large/bulky costumes.
- Bend and kneel on the floor during costume changes.
- Work in small spaces.
- Will frequently work in low-light environments
- Move and work quickly in a time-sensitive environment
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 2 years of professional theater experience as dresser
- 2 years’ experience creating and maintaining run of show paperwork
- 2 years managing run crew