CNN is seeking to hire a journalist who is passionate about global news to join our award-winning EMEA digital team as a breaking news writer in London.
London, United Kingdom
Jul 12, 2022
The successful candidate will thrive in a breaking news environment – nimbly writing and producing the big breaking stories of the day with accuracy, urgency and flair.
As a breaking news writer you’ll work with a global team, picking up from colleagues in the Asia-Pacific region, to break and contexualize the biggest stories of the day across CNN’s global digital platforms.
You’ll have a deep knowledge of global news and current affairs and a curiousity and interest to expand it as well as an appetite to dive into new subjects and quickly get up to speed. Day-to-day you’ll work on CNN’s live digital coverage, collaborating with multiple teams to bring the best of CNN’s reporting to a mobile-first audience. You’ll also be adept at quickly breaking standalone stories out, and swiftly filing clean and crisp copy.
Applicants should have a deep understanding of how stories travel on the internet, feel comfortable with all major social media networks and know their way around key listening tools.
- Works within a team of writers (in a rota pattern) on breaking news coverage. Can flexibly dive in and cover any global breaking news story regardless of region or subject
- Writes clean, clear and engaging copy that conveys to digital audiences not only what is happening but why
- Can articulate breaking news in different story formats
- Can collaborate with journalists from other (non-digital) teams
- Can work with people remotely and across multiple time zones and has the verbal and written communication skills to do this well
- Can navigate quickly between different communication tools and distill what’s editorially important
- Knows how to smartly frame/angle a story and can suggest clever, compelling and accurate headlines to editors
- Adaptable to different styles of writing depending on the subject and digital platform
- Contributes story ideas at daily editorial meetings and longer-term pitch meetings
- Ensures all journalism produced adheres to CNN standards and integrity
- Demonstrated experience writing breaking news at a global media company or another outlet with a large audience
- Comfortable working well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Deep knowledge, passion and interest for international news. A curiosity to keep learning, to think critically and a strong desire to make CNN’s coverage reflective of the world we cover
- Strong technical capabilities including working on different content management systems, news operating systems and audience analytics programs
- Perfect grasp of written and spoken English
- Understanding of journalistic standards and media law
- Self-starter with a history of delivering outstanding results
- Knowledge of additional languages is desirable, but not essential